Re: Banning based on hostname

Adding in a time out in the function would of course solve that issue.

One problem is that is say you make the timeout 1 second, thats a long long time in the scale of page generation times with punbb, but if you make it say 10 milliseconds it probably wouldn't have time to work.

If you wanted you could make a mod or a plugin, or even a plugin for PunBB that creates a .htaccess file which would be much more efficient

27 (edited by Smartys 2006-05-11 21:20)

My bad for some reason I was thinking you where banning the IP not the host since that's all you been talking about for the past 5 days.

Actually, I've been talking about how host banning, except in cases where you want to ban an IP, is mostly useless
And if that's what you thought it's not what you said: you said

Then I would work my way to your IP and then add in your host mask and add a wild card for nycmny assuming NycmNY is from New York and since I have no one from NY that goes to my site I have little care about who else I?m banning using verizon in NY (pool-71-247-100-161.*.east.verizon.net)

You were talking about banning on the "Verizon in NYC" level, not the "Verizon with IP 71.247.100.161" level, although the IP you gave was at the latter level

Now with the above you posted what?s that tell you? It's easier to ban using the host then IP

Err, not particularly tongue
Like I said, banning 71.247.*.* is just as effective, and it seems to me that there's no easier way to do it (other than by banning any nyc verizon.net addresses, which I already said was the one advantage for hostnames in a couple cases)

And my point is you can ban the same if not more then using IP banning.

Not IP banning with wildcards wink
Like I said, the only way I've seen hostnames have a distinct advantage is when there is information like the state in the hostname. That's balanced out IMO by the disadvantage it has when used with hostnames that don't have IPs in them, like some of the ones I gave.

Also the above addresses are not confusing, in fact there almost all easier then the first one you posted.

Then please tell me how you'd ban them with a hostname versus an IP range and how the hostname would be superior. I can see how to ban IP ranges in a lot of them: I can't however see where hostname banning gives you an advantage other than in banning the ISP (unless you want to ban all dialup or broadband users from a certain ISP, which I would class as excessive)

FYI like I said 3 times already, each host has there own method of doing there string not all have country, state, town, city. Not all have routers yada yada.

Indeed: and without those things hostnames become at best as useful as IP ranges and at worst useless (when the ISP assigns seemingly random numbers to the hostname).

And I'm all for not talking about it: last post here for me until I notice someone bringing up the topic again tongue

Edit: Oh, and I agree with what Connor said tongue

I would like to know how to ban a host name also. I have one user that is from the UK and he has created over 40 accounts just to harass me and my users. I need to ban the whole ISP not just the ip or part of the IP. He gets a new IP in everyfew minutes byreconnecting. sometimes its 70.xxx sometimes 85.xxx or 81.xxx I cant IP ban him.

The IP address is: 85.210.63.255
The host name is: 85-210-63-255.dsl.pipex.com

how can I ban anyone using pipex.com?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!