Topic: punbb dev site

whats wrong with the site? all i get is this error

Oops...

Trac detected an internal error:

'module' object has no attribute 'cgi_start'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/home/punbb/cgi-bin/trac", line 25, in ?
    trac.core.cgi_start()
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'cgi_start'

Re: punbb dev site

If only I knew. I've reported the error to my host. Hopefully, they'll get it fixed soon.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Well, not to rant, but I moved all my important (ie not gadgets) websites out of Textdrive several month ago (and I'm a VC holder). Too slow, too many outages, and crucial for me previous functionnalities being stopped.

ooo the error got bigger

also is there any update on whats goin on?
and are you still able to make updates to the SVN?

SVN is unaffected as far as I know

From the beginning Textdrive was billed as the place for programming projects to make their home and be catered to. Don't worry, said Dean, we know what you're looking for, we're here to cuddle you in our servers.

So what the hell happened, anyone got a clue to the change of direction from the Textdrive crew? Is it time to start looking for alternatives for hosting Open Source projects where the host gives a sh*t?

Affiliate links anyone? http://forum.textdrive.com/viewtopic.php?id=12452

Joyent buyout, "business" and dedicated account, those were big red lights. But they were other signs before that. Constant outages, and having the need to corner an admin on the forums and slowly, bit by bit, make him acknowledge something was wrong, was also too much. And others things. Well, it's not the place to rant.

I don't have a replacement at hand for hosting coding project by the new tech, my needs are mostly cheap, very fast and reliable web service hosting, and that I got no problem. But no svn, no webdav, no custom apache conf, no ruby. So maybe not for the custom edge developers smile

Jérémie,

I've always hosted my own sites but my bandwidth couldn't keep up when my sites got popular. I went the shared hosting route at first and was very disappointed, then I went with a VPS and have been very happy.

Maybe what the future holds for Open Source projects is to go the dedicated server route, with enough of us on the server, the cost would not be that high. This way we can control our environment, we can install what we need and we're not at the mercy of some sysadmin that's overloaded.

9 (edited by Jérémie 2006-11-14 10:31)

That may be fine for people with the right skills, and time. I don't now in the US, but these past years in France we have seen several large discount offer of entry-level dedicated server (at 20-30? a month, mostly unmetered 100Mb bandwith) that even small (but not tiny) project could afford, and are quite adequate for common web hosting (common, in the mouth of an über geek).

However, it still require skills and time. For example, Rickard being able to write SQL and PHP doesn't mean he can write and keep up to date a iptable conf, or has the time to patch half a dozen software each week.

The advantage I see myself in good (yet cheap) shared server, beside the lack of skills and time required, is the strength of it. No dedicated server (at affordable level) could compete with the kind of endurance I got from my shared server. 1Gbp front ddos attack? No problem, I don't even feel it. Two motherboards just fried? The same. That's the power of cluster smile

Jérémie wrote:

However, it still require skills and time. For example, Rickard being able to write SQL and PHP doesn't mean he can write and keep up to date a iptable conf, or has the time to patch half a dozen software each week.

Yes, I agree, time is a factor.

We've been waiting on Textdrive to fix Trac for a couple of weeks now, that's a lot of time lost by the developers. In the course of a year, I may spend a week in server maintenance mode, that's not a lot of time in my view.

There's good and bad on either side of the hosting equation, we just want to get 1.3 out the door.

hcgtv wrote:

There's good and bad on either side of the hosting equation, we just want to get 1.3 out the door.

And we want the same wink

1.3! 1.3! 1.3!

hcgtv wrote:

Out of the alpha or beta door by the way, right?

I installed 626 from svn, and after 15 seconds I already noticed a couple of severe or critical bugs wink

I installed 626 from svn, and after 15 seconds I already noticed a couple of severe or critical bugs

What bugs do you mean? I use this version on one of intranet web-sites:-)

Jérémie wrote:

I installed 626 from svn, and after 15 seconds I already noticed a couple of severe or critical bugs wink

As soon as we get Trac going, we can start posting Bug reports.

And yes, r626 is a work in progress.

krauz2k wrote:

I installed 626 from svn, and after 15 seconds I already noticed a couple of severe or critical bugs

One of the rewrite rule get my Apache's host to http 500, there's charset mixup at the install, among others one. But I'll wait for Trac (and the TXD crew to wake up) to do more serious testing&report.

Jérémie wrote:
krauz2k wrote:

One of the rewrite rule get my Apache's host to http 500, there's charset mixup at the install, among others one. But I'll wait for Trac (and the TXD crew to wake up) to do more serious testing&report.

Rewrite rule: you mean this one?

Seems like it yup.

seems this topic has gone a lil off topic.... so Rickard any up date on whats going on?

Jérémie wrote:

Seems like it yup.

Mmm, if you can figure out the cause I think Rickard would be very happy tongue

20 (edited by Jérémie 2006-11-16 02:59)

I don't have access to error log on that conf/host hmm

If you are stomped , I can dig around, try to figure it out.

And it looks like it's up smile

Good. Now we need to be able to create account, and start wiki page and submit tickets tongue

Any ideas on when we will be able to create Trac account, start creating wiki pages and open tickets?

I'm currently working on integrating the forum login with the trac login. I'll announce when we can start using the tracker.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Ok, thanks for the update.