Topic: safari causing line breaks

Hi

I recently tested my site on a safari browser and I am getting strange line breaks between the menu items.

goto:

http://www.amateurillustrator.com/forums/

to see what it should look like (if you are on a mac use FF)

and this is what it looks like in Safari:

http://www.amateurillustrator.com/1165320746-full.jpg

Note the problem at the top and bottom.

Anyone know what tags are wrong...I know nothing about safari.

Thanks, Nick

Punbb w/coppermine and wordpress integrated

see my hack to integrate punbb with wordpress comment system.
Illustration Community

Re: safari causing line breaks

While I'm not on a Mac, I can only assume that at least some of your errors are occuring due to one of the more or less big errors in your code.

A few examples:

1. This suddently occurs in the middle of your code, and not only on the top as it should be:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

2. Not sure if this could cause problems, but it's usually a bad idea to double-link the same stylesheet as you've done here:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/image_upload.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/image_upload.css" />

3. I'm getting a 404 on this stylesheet:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="themes/hardwired/style.css" />

4. You have *many* occurences of non-processed PunBB template tags in your code. Example:

</pun_footer></pun_main></pun_announcement>

5. You also have dozens of unclosed & invalid tags.

You might want to clean all that up before even attempting to do any further troubleshooting smile

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention. After looking at that Safari screenshot, I would have to say that it's not adding any line-breaks at all. It's simply missing, or ignoring, the "display: inline" property on your list-items from the CSS.

thanks for the help

Ive fixed a few of the problems from your first post

Are you saying here:

You have *many* occurences of non-processed PunBB template tags in your code. Example:
Code:

that I don't need to close these...so I can just have <pun_footer> without the second </pun_footer>.

Cheers

Nick

Illustration Community

Right, it's just a tag that's replaced

nickfzx wrote:

thanks for the help

Ive fixed a few of the problems from your first post

Are you saying here:

You have *many* occurences of non-processed PunBB template tags in your code. Example:
Code:

that I don't need to close these...so I can just have <pun_footer> without the second </pun_footer>.

Cheers

Nick

Yeah, as Smartys mentioned, those will be replaced so there's no need to close them. If you look at header.php, you'll see several examples on how this works.

Cool thanks for the help

im going through the page and cleaning it up...I did it a long time ago and havent noticed any trouble with it until now.

I havent found the solution to the problem yet but I'll post once I do find what it was.

Illustration Community

nickfzx wrote:

Cool thanks for the help

im going through the page and cleaning it up...I did it a long time ago and havent noticed any trouble with it until now.

I havent found the solution to the problem yet but I'll post once I do find what it was.

That's one of the problems with different browsers, they all handle errors differently. It might be a good idea to use the W3C validator (or a local tool as CSE HTML Validator or Tidy) during development, as if you do it will be easier to spot potential problems early on smile

fixed it now...was the base.css file

in the section on special lists i had somehow messed it up and the syntax was wrong...diddn't notice though because ff and ie ignored the problem

all working fine now and i tested it with http://www.browsrcamp.com/

thanks for the help

Illustration Community