Topic: CSS Nightmare...

Hi everyone!

I'm starting up a new venture and decided to go with PunBB for my forums! I'm excited. (I've toyed around with a few other options, but after seeing how well the forums at MacHeist.com worked, I decided that PunBB was the best option.)

So I'm working on changing the style so that it fits with the rest of my site, but the use of multiple stylesheets is really throwing me for a loop. I'm using the GreenPun theme as my base, and working out from there. ( I liked the fixed width and colorscheme, although most of the colors will be changed.)

Anyway, it's really hard to modify the CSS when I don't know anything about how the site works. Are there any good resouces on creating themes for PunBB?

I mainly use WordPress for most of my sites, so I am familiar with CSS and PHP, but like I said, when you don't really know what the code is doing, it's hard to change things.

The stylesheets seem a bit on the messy side for me, changing things in one sheet doesn't always fix things and I have to hunt through the second stylesheet to find what's causing the problem. (Even CSSEdit isn't giving me much help as it won't recognize tags attributes that are in capital letters... though I don't know why.)

Any suggestions on how to better understand the stylesheet or create my own style would be most appreciated.

Thanks for the help, and keep up the good work.

-frodolad_

Re: CSS Nightmare...

Well, theres lots of styles on http://www.punres.org/ some of them might be useful for inspiration, as for the layout of the style sheets, there are the main stylesheets for example Oxygen.css and then the color scheme to go with it for example oxygen_cs.css (in imports) so if you want to change colors you want the _cs file and for layout/design its the not _cs file

Well I took your advice and hunted around for a few new themes until I found one that might work as a base theme. We'll see how work goes with the modifications....

I think I am begining to understand the usage of the three style sheet system, although I'm not entirely sold on the customization aspect of it. Just out of curiosity, are there guidelines for creating and/or submitting themes for PunBB?

I'll probably stop back later with more questions. Thanks for the timely response!

frodolad_ wrote:

Just out of curiosity, are there guidelines for creating and/or submitting themes for PunBB?

No, but the comments (especially in the default styles) are a great resource.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.