Topic: Could this be a punbb lookalike or what

This software was recommended to me by a good collegue of mine here . I was searching for board similar to this one but written in asp since I have free hosting with my buddys company. Can someone check this one out to see which one (pun or the other one) is most effiecient in handling a high volume of threads? Thanks

Re: Could this be a punbb lookalike or what

http://dnfbb.sourceforge.net/ wrote:

PunBB is currently available, however no Firebird port is yet available, and the prospect of a port to Firebird does not look likely in the near future.

However, if you're looking for something written in C#, that's your forum wink

dnfbb looks like a knockoff of PunBB, even down to the admin screens.

hcgtv: Its a superficial lookalike as far as markup is concerned but thats as far as it goes. It certainly doesn't bother me in any way.

Plus it has RSS links on the fourm catagories, colored indicators for when Admins and Mods, and uses different images; I imagine it has other features that differ as well, but that is what I picked up for quickly looking at the frontpage.

If those icons are what I think they are (from phpBB), that project might have some issues

Paul, it just surprised me, but it's rather slow anyway.

smartys, are you refering to copyright issues?

It looked damn slow to me. But that may depend on a lot of stuff.

They simply used a layout based on punbb.... that should not be so difficult. Just look at some outputed html and fix a way to reproduce it.

Ok, its cool with the stored procedures but isnt that supose to make it faster and more reliable? why isnt it then? lol... ok... at least faster it does not appear to be at all.

This is an open source project, so anybody can come and take whatever ideas/code/look/whatever they want, as long as they do it in agreement with punnbb's licence.

The rss icon everywhere is anoying... would you really keep rss feeds of some topic... you could, but is it really something that a user does in a regular bassis?

smartys, are you refering to copyright issues?

I'm referring to the rules the subSilver SDK is released under wink

This is an open source project, so anybody can come and take whatever ideas/code/look/whatever they want, as long as they do it in agreement with punnbb's licence.

That project uses a different license than PunBB, but it most likely isn't directly based on PunBB's code

that forum software seems like it needs alot of work.......i wouldnt worry about it at this point tongue stick to punbb, it looks nice, its lightweight, simple, and fast....just a kick ass forum software imo.

Can anyone recommend a forum software similar to this one in asp.net?

The developer of "dnfbb" used PunBB first for his site http://www.fbtalk.net and then he make "dnfbb" for support Firebird SQL database.
you can see the old one http://www.fbtalk.net/index.php

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.