Topic: Main punBB.org Site Inaccessible

I was talking to someone about punBB who said they couldn't get to the site.  Evidently they are getting the following error:

Precondition Failed
The precondition on the request for the URL / evaluated to false.

Thought you might like to know.

NFL-Forums.com administrator

Re: Main punBB.org Site Inaccessible

That's a mod_security issue, something about their request was found to be suspicious tongue
Moved to PunBB Discussion wink

Has the problem gone away?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Aparantly not:

http://forums.site-reference.com/topic/23108/#p23108

NFL-Forums.com administrator

Should be fixed now. It's weird that only he got the error message though.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Should be fixed now. It's weird that only he got the error message though.

Ask Textdrive which rule he was triggering (or check your error_log, I think it should show up there) wink

I thought so too. However, for some reason, nothing ever gets written to my error_log.

I am afraid I have just encountered the same problem: "The precondition on the request for the URL / evaluated to false." reply when trying to go to punbb.org from a forum built on punbb:

http://axioma.spb.ru/forum

Funny thing is, there is no any problem when I use ref. on another (experimental) forum:

http://scrinium.ru/forum

Could anybody explain this ?

mod_security is denying the request based on the referrer: I don't know why wink

Because it's badly set. I don't know if that's still the case, but like a year ago, the whole block of a French ISP was banned on TXD by their mod_security set-up. And the ISP wasn't neither small nor particularly bad (way less than AOL for example).

I would suggest disabling the mod_security entirely.

Jérémie wrote:

Because it's badly set. [...] I would suggest disabling the mod_security entirely.

It seems natural, but too simple decision. I wanted to understand if there can be any dependence on the punBB code itself: one of my test versions was not altered at all (it is empty for now) and there is no problem to go to punbb.org from there, other one was slightly redesigned (though it was applied to templates and .css only). I don't see any other difference between the cases...

I was only talking about punbb.org and Textdrive, nothing else.

I disabled mod_security. Works now.

Thanks a lot. Works, really. It was a bit comic that punBB.org proved to be unaccessible when reffering to it from a page generated with punBB...