Re: import old database to fresh install, or: goin' nuts.

If it exists, why would you need to create it then? tongue

OKOK!!  : )

sure, no need to create table 'bans'   if it already exists. but then, how to edit it considering the error message? THANKS.

Looking more elbekko...I see that the code you provided has changed the collation from latin1_swedish_ci to utf8_unicode_ci on the 'bans' table.

But, that the remaining tables are still using latin1_swedish_ci.

Would you suggest changing this collation for/on all tables?
If so, how to? THANKS.

now, i'm getting the following message. Thanks for any help.

MySQL said: Documentation
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci' at line 1

I think newer versions of MySQL have problems with the line DEFAULT CHARSET. So I'd try removing anything said in that error message and converting the table afterwards in phpMyAdmin.

unfortunately, i just don't know enough about how to do this kind of editing/changing of code yet. wish i could do it...but just don't know how. anyone know any good tutorials for mysql work like this? as always THANKS to everyone here who has tried to help me in this learning process.

most humbly, will

32 (edited by willray 2007-02-01 08:17)

Perhaps should have ended that post "most dumbly,"     : ) 

FINALLY, I'm beginning to put some dots together and figure out how some of this coding works. Really appreciate the patience given me. Still learning....

Once I changed the code (through a text editor) you initiallly provided then again tried to phpmyadmin import, I began to see patterns emerge.

Instead of getting error on CREATE TABLE 'bans' ... I'm gettting error on CREATE TABLE 'categories" ...which is the next set of code...and...which indicates the code you provided is working? Thus more editing of problematic syntax on each subsequent set is needed?

THIS ENTIRE SITUATION perhaps is actually occurring not because I'm trying to go from older version of MySQL to newer one but because conversely I'm trying to go from a server running newer MySQL version 4.1.21-standard to other server running older MySQL 4.0.24 version.

HOT DAMN!!!    that's all i can really say.

I've been working on this for a LONG time. And, I just read for the first time   -----

"Import has been successfully finished."

Cool big_smile