Topic: Forum Restrictions

I have been having people come onto my forums and post links to some pretty disturbing websites that I don't even want to give names about.  I want my members to be able to post links and such, but does anyone have any advice on how to prevent this stuff.

Re: Forum Restrictions

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for tongue
A spam filter? A way to disable auto-linking for Guests? Something else?

OK well I guess I am just going to have to start banning IP addresses.  It says to be careful when doing so.  Just how likely is it that banning a few IP addresses will affect other users?

It depends. Some people have static IP addresses and banning might only affect them. Others use servers that many thousands of people use, so banning them will affect others. Banning spam bots usually shouldn't harm anyone other than the spam bots though.

I'd remove IP based bans after roughly 1 to 2 weeks. Only keep an IP ban on if it is recurring. (It usually takes about 1 week for most residential IP addresses to change, although there are ways to force a change. So if a residential computer users causing grief you may want to look for an alternative solution).

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;