Topic: valid xhtml 1.0 and mods

Not sure if this is the right place for it but I have been wondering about this. One of the things I like about PunBB is that it is all valid xhtml. Since it is and mods are released on the site shouldn't the mods be valid also?

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the time and effort everyone has put into creating both PunBB and the mods I am so glad to have. I was just a bit surprised to have to make changes to a few of the mods before they would validate.

Re: valid xhtml 1.0 and mods

The mods are not "official" releases, as far as I know, most are not made by members of the PunBB team; conclusion: don't expect random members to make things xhtml compliant.
If you've fixed mods to be that way, send them to the developer to have them update theirs with xhtml and then you'll be helping out all of us big_smile

teenagegluesniffer wrote:

don't expect random members to make things xhtml compliant.

Why shouldn't we?

Good idea, I will do that.

guardian34 wrote:

Why shouldn't we?

Because there are no standards for creating mods, which has led to some pretty haphazard creations tongue

Smartys wrote:

Because there are no standards for creating mods, which has led to some pretty haphazard creations tongue

Fair enough. tongue Will there be standards for extensions?

Smartys wrote:

There are standards for writing decent html, but most ignore them unfortunately.

the mod i made, links with category is valid smile

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

My next MDT version will include a

##  XHTML validated:  Yes/No/Should be (Unvalidated)

in the readme header. Should be is for people like me, who try to, but often forget to close an input with />, or what not tongue

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

guardian34 wrote:
Smartys wrote:

Fair enough. tongue Will there be standards for extensions?

Most probably although it can't be totally enforced, I would guess more about this will appear on the DevBlog at some point

guardian34 wrote:

Why shouldn't we?

(Side) Note to self: Don't produce extensions that produce invalid XHTML!

I just realized I made a mod that produces invalid XHTML. roll

Meh, we all do it, infact I just seen a topic on some punbb code that is invalid xhtml when a user doesn't have an avatar (or something like that...).

I would suggest the DevBlog discussion involves what extra information is needed in the mod/extention headers. You can't stop someone from (not)? caring. You can't stop someone from caring and messing up once in a while. But you can tell people if you care or not big_smile In many cases it's impossible to verify the xhtml unless you have some sort of client side validator.

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

deadram wrote:

Meh, we all do it, infact I just seen a topic on some punbb code that is invalid xhtml when a user doesn't have an avatar (or something like that...).

That wasn't invalid code, just a "warning" from Tidy: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=14862

PunBB 1.2.x is valid XHTML 1.0 Strict. But validation isn't everything, it's just a syntax checker, there's semantic and good practices to do beside basic validation. As far as I can tell (I haven't checked it deeply in the accessibility area), PunBB isn't doing bad on both account, and certainly way better than any other board out there.