Topic: What do i need to do to hack the post size?

I guess some checking bypass in post.php would be necessary, that's ok. But i am more confused with the database.

I didnt got yet if i can or not insert more than 64kb of text data in a sqlite field. From what i red here
http://www.sqlite.org/datatypes.html
there is only one text datatype.
Do i or don't i have to hack the table?
When answering please keep in ming that i am talking about sqlite.

The posts with long large text data will be made through external script so i think i will leave the checking as it is in post.php

Re: What do i need to do to hack the post size?

You'd have to go hacking into the database core I'm afraid.
I know most (if not all) corporate database systems (Sybase, Oracle, MSSQL, ...) offer larger TEXT fields than MySQL or SQLite. I'm not even sure you can increase TEXT field size in SQLite.

What a solution could be is store the data in an external text file. Add another column to the posts table, say 'txt' BOOLEAN which defaults to false, which controls if the post is stored in a text file. The actual content of the post would be the location of the text file.
Only additional change then would be adding a check in viewtopic.php for what the actual message is.

Am I making any sense? tongue

I wouldn't like to make changes in the code because of the updates. I've highly modify the code of a forum that i set up and i keep wondering if i will remember all changes i made when it comes to update.

About you solution... i am dummy, it's the second time i need to do such a change ( the other was allowing html in some specific posts ) and both times the solution was the same and it was in front of my nose without me seeing it, lol.

Elbekko, thank you, you are becoming my official troubleshooter smile

I will check anyway if i can manualy insert more than 64kb of text in the post body field.

pedrotuga wrote:

I wouldn't like to make changes in the code because of the updates. I've highly modify the code of a forum that i set up and i keep wondering if i will remember all changes i made when it comes to update.

You can pretty easily just use the hdiff to update a modded forum when a minor version change comes around.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.