1 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2007-03-05 22:04)

Topic: anyone up for a challenge? VB to PunBB conversion.

my last remaining non-punbb board is down for the count. i went from a dedicated windows box for hosting(super great deal for the hosting) to a shared *nix box with cpanel. and in doing so the db backup from the previous setup might not be uploadable or restorable. i firgure since it's down why not convert it to PunBB? anyone up to the challenge? the task would be to convert a VB3.6.2 to PunBB 1.2.14 board. i have a backup of the db that you're welcome to if you are willing to convert it. i'm mostly just wanting to keep users and threads/forums. PMs and attachments are ok to go bye bye.

is this possible? if so let me know and we can work it out.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Re: anyone up for a challenge? VB to PunBB conversion.

Doesn't the converter work fine?

i'll give that a try but it says vb3.0 sooo...

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Just converted 2 days ago from vb3.6 to punbb on http://www.istoritve.com without any problems at all with converter. I had subforums and lots of mods on vb but default converter was just fine !

great! i'll give it a try then.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

6 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2007-03-07 08:33)

ok, after a number of tries i wasn't able to even get my backup to restore in phpmyadmin, mysql administrator or even cpanel's restore function. tried BigDump and it got alot further than the rest but still came up empty in the end. i'd really hate to lose everything i have so if anyone is willing to give it a try i'd be very grateful. i'll suppy the dump/backup and vb if you need it. i'm just not as well versed in sql and it's starting to show.

thanks in advance.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Your biggest problem is using a dedicated BSOD "server", ever tongue You have older back-ups of the db, or a db from the same/similar set-up that can be restored to your new set-up? You might also try to run a windows web/mysql server on your local computer, do the restore and then do the conversion. Then back-up that conversion and try to restore it. Somewhere on these forums is a link to an apache, mysql, php and a few others all-in-one installer (for windows and *nix, even mac if I remember correctly).

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

i've tried that route already... in fact that was my first direction since i knew using my computer to convert would be much faster.

unfortunately i only have 2 backups. the one of the forums i want to convert and a mysql administrator backup of all the databases totaling 233+mb. about 6-8 dbs in all. i haven't lost hope... yet. wink

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

You could use the BigDump script but alter it, to write a copy of the db-backup to a new file. At least then you'll know if it's the parsing of the backup, or the adding to the db, and where in the backup the problem lies. Might just be a version conflict between the old and new box?

that's beyond my capabilities. wink

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Looks like your not the only one. Maybe the suggestion in the reply will help? http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?34,42051,42051

do you need ssh or the like to do that(run console commands)? if so i'll have to investigate if we have that capability. thanks for the help.. i'll get through this hopefully.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more