Topic: quoted text format

I would prefer if quoted text was formated without the blank line after the "Username wrote"

So that

"Blah wrote:

balhbalahsajashdljahfjkhdsffjkfhs"

becomes

"Blah wrote:
blahblahblah balahalahalahj"

Addionally it would be nice if the posting screen had a set of buttons to perform common function like "quote" "unquote" and so on. Just the basics for those users who don't know how to use BBcode manually.

I know I have posted a lot of suggestions in one day, so let me assure you that I appretiate PunBB in it's simplicity. I don't care for private messaging, or excessivley grpahical interfaces. Or impossible to leanr skinning systmes. It's just those little tweaks that would be so nice to have.

Re: quoted text format

You can edit that in your includes/parser.php file (i think)... its pretty simple and it doesnt matter how many suggestions you make... because one day they will be all included in one big MASSIZE, small file sized discussion board!

smile

---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------

had a look in there and i have to say I am lost, i don't know which part to edit, I will end up messing something up. The code boggles my mind.

I learn a lot of things quickly, html was a breeze. but I have never been able to graps any programming or scripting language, even javascript.

Actually, it's post.php you want to look at. Locate the following (row 339):

$quote = '

'.$qposter.' '.$lang_post['wrote'].':'."\n\n".$qmessage."\n".'

'."\n";

and replace it with:

$quote = '

'.$qposter.' '.$lang_post['wrote'].':'."\n".$qmessage."\n".'

'."\n";

That will remove the extra linebreak. This tip will not apply to PunBB 1.1 though. The quote code has been updated a bit.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

FIXED POST

Actually, it's post.php you want to look at. Locate the following (row 339):

$quote = '

'.$qposter.' '.$lang_post['wrote'].':'."\n\n".$qmessage."\n".'

'."\n";

and replace it with:

$quote = '

'.$qposter.' '.$lang_post['wrote'].':'."\n".$qmessage."\n".'

'."\n";

That will remove the extra linebreak. This tip will not apply to PunBB 1.1 though. The quote code has been updated a bit.

I'm an idiot :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

lol, if you are going to write  then write it like this:

Its a bit complicated but it works smile

Or use the code tag.

True...

thanks, looks much better to my eyes now.

11 (edited by actorj 2004-01-15 01:23)

after installing 1.1 my quoted text is back to the old way, as you suggested it would above.

How do I make the same chnage in 1.1?

Yes, the quote syntax has changed in PunBB 1.1. First, upgrade to PunBB 1.1.1 that was released earlier today. Then, open up include/parser.php and goto line 300 and replace

$message = preg_replace('#\[quote=("|"|\'|)(.*)\\1\]#seU', '"<br></span><table style=\"width: 95%\" align=\"center\" cellspacing=\"4\" cellpadding=\"6\"><tr><td class=\"punquote\"><span class=\"puntext\"><b>".str_replace(\'[\', \'[\', \'$2\')." ".$lang_common[\'wrote\'].":</b><br><br>"', $message);

with

$message = preg_replace('#\[quote=("|"|\'|)(.*)\\1\]#seU', '"<br></span><table style=\"width: 95%\" align=\"center\" cellspacing=\"4\" cellpadding=\"6\"><tr><td class=\"punquote\"><span class=\"puntext\"><b>".str_replace(\'[\', \'[\', \'$2\')." ".$lang_common[\'wrote\'].":</b><br>"', $message);

I.e. just remove one of the <br>'s at the end of the line.

I finally managed to do that. Was what throwing my right off is that that line is line 222, not 300.

okay, i just realized that that only effects quotes that aren't nested. If the quote become nested we are back to having the etxra space...

figured out how to fix it on my own....

actorj wrote:

I finally managed to do that. Was what throwing my right off is that that line is line 222, not 300.

Whoops, my mistake :)

actorj wrote:

okay, i just realized that that only effects quotes that aren't nested. If the quote become nested we are back to having the etxra space...

Hmm, no. It shouldn't. Are you sure?

Well, to be honest, I was sure, and I know I made some chnages to the code, and then put them back, and then chnaged them, etc. In the end I can't remeber if I ended up permanently changing anything other than removing that one line break.

In any case, it's wokring correctly now, so either there was just a glitch from the upgrade (I deleted the posts that had extra spaces and posted new tests which are formatted corectly even when nested) or I really did end up changing something...