Re: not sending mails

Yes. The forum is running under the Apache webserver on my machine.
DJ

regards,
DJ

I'd check any firewalls you have running. They could be blocking the outbound connection

Hi Smartys,
My only firewall is the WinXP firewall, which I thought only restricted inbound traffic. I am also behind a router, if that makes a difference. I'll look into the Win firewall situation.

regards,
DJ

I think it could be your router, although I don't know enough to be sure. The error message is too generic: all it tells me is that something is aborting the connection.

Smartys,
Do you know what outbound port is used by PunBB to connect to the ISP? I couldn't find anything related to PunBB, PHP or Apache in the Win firewall lists.

regards,
DJ

I'd try 25: try adding PHP
Or you could try disabling it for a minute just to see if that was the issue

Turned off the MS firewall completely and still got the error. Nothing in the router seems to stop outbound traffic. Could this be an XP thing? Or something I need to set in PHP?

regards,
DJ

I'm afraid I don't know what to tell you. If you're sure that all the SMTP details you supplied are correct, I'd suggest you talk to your ISP

Only other possibility would be to increase the timeout
in include/email.php
FIND

if (!($socket = fsockopen($smtp_host, $smtp_port, $errno, $errstr, 15)))

REPLACE WITH

if (!($socket = fsockopen($smtp_host, $smtp_port, $errno, $errstr, 60)))

Tried changing the timeout, but it didn't help. The error happens almost instantaneously after clicking on the submit button. I'll have to contact roadrunner (my ISP).

Thanks for all your help. I'll post here if/when I get an answer.

regards,
DJ

FOUND IT!
1. See this website if running Norton or McAfee AV programs (unblocks port 25):
http://kbase.pscs.co.uk/index.php?article=242

2. Be sure NOT to insert your userid and password in the PunBB options if your SMTP server does not REQUIRE it. Mine did NOT, but I thought they needed it to allow the connection. (I use roadrunner).

When I did the setup in (1) and removed the info in (2), my emails get sent. IF you only do part 1 and your SMTP server does NOT require the auithorization, you get the error "unknown command AUTH LOGIN".

I am now a happy camper!

regards,
DJ

PS. Forgot to mention that the name of the program to insert in the last step of the McAfee setup is the web-server program you are running. I was using Apache.exe. I assume you need to do the same in the Norton setup.  Additional thanks to the PSCS knowledge base.

regards,
DJ

FYI: NotSoHotMail considers your registration Email to be Spam!!!! (yeah, I know. Who's surprised?)

When a user has not provided an email address, the email form will still come up, accept input and then apparently discards it into a black hole somewhere, with no indication that anything is amiss.  Any way to get it to, in this case, say something like "This user is not currently accepting messages"??

This is not on my own site, but on one I visit, but they have no developers.  I am a PHP/MySQL developer and I'm trying to guide them into the light.

If there is currently no way, might this be a useful enhancement?

Users provide an email address upon registering

Smartys wrote:

Users provide an email address upon registering

I hate to disappoint you but there must be some set of conditions which permits this.  My forum profile email address was blank.  Hide email, allow form mail was set.  I could post to the forum.  I could form email to other members.    Understandably, no one could form email to me, but it would look like it was working.  Once I entered an email, I could not delete it, but at first, it was not there.

It's impossible via an unmodded PunBB register.php: check the code for yourself smile

Oh, if I had a nickel for every time I've said "That's impossible".

Is it impossible that the site is running with error_reporting(0) and some unanticipated error condition occurred?

I did not check the code for myself as it is not my site, and I was trying to help someone without technical resources.  I doubt they modified any code, but it's not "impossible".

In fact, something did go strange when I first registered to the site.  My browser locked up and I rebooted.  When I went back to the site, I could login and get to the forum, post, etc., but my profile email field was blank.  I could apparently form email to other members, but they never received it until I entered the email address.

Let us just say that this trouble ticket would be marked "Unable to reproduce".

No need to be sarcastic: check the file for yourself
http://dev.punbb.org/browser/trunk/upload/register.php

It IS impossible with an unmodded register.php

Smartys wrote:

No need to be sarcastic: check the file for yourself
http://dev.punbb.org/browser/trunk/upload/register.php

It IS impossible with an unmodded register.php

OK, just to make this very clear for you, the following IS sarcasm.

Is English a second language for you?  Congratulations on being the first to actually be able to prove a negative.

Congrats on alienating someone who was willing to help you wink
I'll just repeat myself one last time: take a look at the code for yourself. If you can find a way for a user to register without providing an email, I'll gladly admit I'm wrong and fix it. However, until that point, I have to go with my reading of the code, which is that
A. The insert statement for the user takes the value from $email1
B. $email1 is taken from $_POST for every submit
C. $email1 is validated and checked to ensure that it IS a valid email (which means it needs an @, a tld, etc)

Hi,

I have a lot of people registering on my site but not receiving passwords to validate their registration.  The culprit in main appears to be hotmail, but I am assuming/fearing this maybe wider spread?  Email reminders come through however, password verification emails or our auto-reply does not.  Our hosting provider is streamline.net and the site is www.footballfancast.com.

any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Interesting: the issue is only with Hotmail?

It appears to be the case...some people's hotmail works and others don't

That sounds like an issue with Hotmail then