Topic: CSS works locally but not one server

For some reason the board works perfectly on my server but the CSS style sheet is not working. If I save a page in Firebird (with images and other files) and look at it locally on my disk it works perfectly with the sheet.

Wha?

Test forum at http://winebb.resmo.com

Re: CSS works locally but not one server

What is it that's not working?

I've looked at the page, and everything seems ok smile

When I look the style sheet is not applied in any browser I have (MSIE 6, Firebird)

Ooops... no it works in MSIE but not Firebird.

But it works in FB when local?

I'm running Opera 7.xx... which works.

Can't test it in firebird though... did you make any changes in the CSS? Have you tried to empty the cache or something like that?

Chacmool wrote:

I'm running Opera 7.xx... which works.

Can't test it in firebird though... did you make any changes in the CSS? Have you tried to empty the cache or something like that?

Yeah I emptyed the cache. But now I'm wondering about the cache of my access provider. I've ben having problems with other sites as well, but they just began today whereas this one started yesterday.

7 (edited by ps21 2004-01-19 17:55)

I have just tried in in Firebird 0.7. You are right, it doesn't work. I used a developer add in to display the styesheet and it finds it and displays the contents OK. If you view page information it also shows the correct link to the styelsheet. I am baffled.

Working in IE5, IE5.5 and IE6 OK.

What happens if you log in a a member and change your stylesheet preference? Could you post another test post, the newest one that shows up is two days old.

I did try to change prefs but it doesn't help. I hate these diffs in browser rendering especially now that we have a tool like CSS! sad

I really think Mozilla based CSS suppoirt is important and we need to find out what the problem is. I may try to post the question in Macromedia forums since those folks are experts in CSS differences.

What's weird is that locally the CSS displays correctly and looking at the source, there is NO good reason it shouldn't work online!

9 (edited by ps21 2004-01-20 13:16)

Just tried it in Mozilla 1.5, same problem, though it works fine in Netscape 4.8. It is curious that this is the only site that is having problems with Mozilla based browsers which indicates that it's a combination of things i.e. server plus browser.

The only thing I have been able to track down is that Gecko based browsers have a problem if the mime type of css files is set incorrectly by the server. Try putting an .htaccess file in your root directory (assuming Apache) with this

AddType text/css .css

Just done some more research on this. It appears this problem is fairly widespread and the world is littered with servers who have mine type set as text/plain. The problem is that in compliance mode Mozilla Firebird insists on the server mime type matching the document mime type in the webpage. If it doesn't then it will just ignore the css file. The quick way to test for this problem would be to change the doctype definition in main.tpl to one which would throw Firebird into quirks mode (or just remove the doctype alltogether). This problem does not affect IE or Opera because they are simply not very fussy about mime types.

You got it! I just read the same answer on the MM forums.

This server has mostly very old sites, so the issue has never come up before.

Indeed, for Gecko browsers AND a doctype declaration, you must serve the CSS files properly, mea culpa et al!

Full data here:

http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/ … ime-types/