1 (edited by n1mda 2007-04-02 21:14)

Topic: Combine PunBB login and registration with the main site

Guess I should say hi guys, I'm new to this forum and to PunBB also. So.. Hi guys! smile

Now to my question.

I'm working on a website that will have some functions that you need to be a member of the site to use, as file uploading and so on. I also want a forum for my members, so why not combine it all to one registration and one login. I'm not a total newbee in php and mysql, but I don't think it's a copy and paste solution for this.

I want a login form on my first page, and on the forum. Also the registration will be in another file so it doesn't link to www.mypage.com/forum/registration.php or something like that, I'm a simple guy and I want to keep it simple, like www.mypage.com/register or something.

Have someone of you made something like this before, or do you have any link to a guide or something for this?
There will be some problems with this, I know that for sure. But probably I will figure it out. Now I just want some hints and help to get started.

Best regards / n1mda

Re: Combine PunBB login and registration with the main site

If you don't have a login system already, then just use PunBB's as outlined in the integration instructions in PunBB's documentation.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

This will add a login form to any page from which you call it.
If already logged in, it shows your username and group.

// Login Menu
    function login_menu() 
        {
        global $pun_user;
        if ($pun_user['is_guest'])
            {
            $stroutput= '<form id="login" method="post" action="'.PUN_ROOT.'login.php?action=in" onsubmit="return process_form(this)">

<input type="hidden" name="form_sent" value="1" />
            <input type="hidden" name="redirect_url" value="'.$_SERVER['PHP_SELF'].'?'.$_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'].'" />
            <label for="req_username">Username: </label>
            <input type="text" id="req_username" name="req_username" size="4" maxlength="25" />
            <label for="req_password">Password: </label>
            <input type="password" id="req_password" name="req_password" size="4" maxlength="16" />
            <input type="submit" name="login" value="Login" />
            [<a href="'.PUN_ROOT.'register.php">Register</a>] 
            </form>';

echo $stroutput;    
            }
        else 
            {
            $stroutput= '<p>Logged in as: '.pun_htmlspecialchars($pun_user['username']).' ('.$pun_user['g_user_title'].') [<a href="'.PUN_ROOT.'login.php?action=out&id='.$pun_user['id'].'">Logout</a>]</p>';
            echo $stroutput;    
            }
        }

I found it somewhere on this site (or Punres) so apologies for not crediting the original author.

--Alan

4 (edited by Tubby 2007-04-03 11:28)

AlanCollier wrote:

This will add a login form to any page from which you call it.
If already logged in, it shows your username and group.

// Login Menu
    function login_menu() 
        {
        global $pun_user;
            {
            $stroutput= '<form id="login" method="post" action="'.PUN_ROOT.'login.php?action=in" onsubmit="return process_form(this)">

<input type="hidden" name="redirect_url" value="'.$_SERVER['PHP_SELF'].'?'.$_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'].'" />
            <input type="text" id="req_username" name="req_username" size="4" maxlength="25" />
            <input type="password" id="req_password" name="req_password" size="4" maxlength="16" />
            </form>';

echo $stroutput;    
            }
        else 
            {
            $stroutput= '<p>Logged in as: '.pun_htmlspecialchars($pun_user['username']).' ('.$pun_user['g_user_title'].') [<a href="'.PUN_ROOT.'login.php?action=out&id='.$pun_user['id'].'">Logout</a>]</p>';
            echo $stroutput;    
            }
        }

I found it somewhere on this site (or Punres) so apologies for not crediting the original author.

--Alan

seems very nice smile, but is the 1st "echo $stroutput;" necessary? You are only declaring the variables with in the "if" statement. So simply add this jsut after the if statement:

echo $stroutput;

Great!
Then I have som other things to fix also, like sessions and so on, but I will figure that out.

Thank you alot!

tubby wrote:

..but is the 1st "echo $stroutput;" necessary?

Well spotted Tubby, sloppy coding on my behalf!

--Alan

Moved to Integration

I can't make it work!

This is my code:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
<title></title>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles/style.css" />
</head>
<body>
<div id="topleft"></div>
<div id="big">
        <div id="left_shadow"></div>
        <div id="right_shadow"></div>
<div id="superheader"></div>
<div id="supernavbar">
<ul>
<li><a href="../index.html" rel="self">Start</a></li>
<li><a href="../forum/index.php" rel="self">Forum</a></li>
<li><a href="../fotoalbum/index.php" rel="self">Photo</a></li>
<li><a href="../chat/index.php" rel="self">Chat</a></li>
<li><a href="../mix.html" rel="self">Mix</a></li>
<li2><a href="../login.html" rel="self" id="current">Login</a></li2>
</ul>
</div>
<div id="supercontainer">
<?php
define('PUN_ROOT', './forum/');
require PUN_ROOT.'include/common.php';
?>

<br>
<?php
// Login Menu
    function login_menu() 
        {
        global $pun_user;
            {

</form>';

echo $stroutput;    
            }
        else 
            {
            echo $stroutput;    
            }
        }
        ?>

</div>
<div id="superfooter">Copyright</div>
</div>

</body>
</html>

Please help me! hmm And what was it you should delete in the code?

What error do you get? What doesn't work about it?

[No need to delete anything, it will still work, it's just inefficient code]

--Alan

It doesn't show anything....
The page is completely blank, (the header and the navbar is still there and everything but no login) and if i look at the source code it nothing there! All PHP code are gone!

11 (edited by AlanCollier 2007-05-02 15:30)

I see!

That's because the code above defines a function to spit out the necessary HTML.
You then need to call that function where you want the login stuff to be.

So simply put:
<?php login_menu(); ?>
Where you want the login box to appear.

The code is put into a function so that you can have it in a separate file so that you don't have to put the same code into all of your pages.

--Alan

Thanks! big_smile Works perfectly!
You made my day!

Cool.

Let us know when you've got the site up and running.
I'd be interested to see how you used it.

--Alan

14 (edited by Peter 2007-05-12 19:50)

This looks like what I need, but there are some frustrating "blank spots" in this solution for someone who comes to this from html/css and doesn't really know PHP.

Has the "echo $stroutput;" issue been fixed? It's not obvious to me how to fix it in the code myself.

How do I make my sure my index.php can find the login_menu function? Simply putting <?php login_menu(); ?> where I want the login box doesn't do the trick. I need some other secret ingredient.

I've tried require('common/functions/login.php'); at the top of the page, but that produced a mess.

I know this is a dumb question, but if you're not thinking in PHP logic this is not obvious.

Edit:

OK, I figured it out. I added the login_menu function to functions.php in the include folder. And this to the index.php file:

define('PUN_ROOT', './forum/');
require PUN_ROOT.'include/common.php';

Edit 2:
One little issue. When I log out it redirects to forum/index.php instead of main site homepage index.php. I have some ideas how to fix it, but what would be the cleanest way?

I can't find a solution to that last little issue: when logging out it redirects to forum/index.php instead of main site homepage index.php. How can I fix that?

I tried replacing $destination_url =  in functions.php with the main site's URL, but it had no effect (and I probably messed up something else by doing that).

Can anyone help?

I made this edit to redirect to the main homepage after logout instead of to forum/index.php:

else if ($action == 'out')
{
    if ($pun_user['is_guest'] || !isset($_GET['id']) || $_GET['id'] != $pun_user['id'])
    {
        header('Location: http://mywebsite.com');
        exit;
    }

// Remove user from "users online" list.
    $db->query('DELETE FROM '.$db->prefix.'online WHERE user_id='.$pun_user['id']) or error('Unable to delete from online list', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

// Update last_visit (make sure there's something to update it with)
    if (isset($pun_user['logged']))
        $db->query('UPDATE members SET last_visit='.$pun_user['logged'].' WHERE id='.$pun_user['id']) or error('Unable to update user visit data', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

pun_setcookie(1, random_pass(8), time() + 31536000);

redirect('http://mywebsite.com', $lang_login['Logout redirect']);
}

It seems to work, but could it cause problems elsewhere?

Does the Logout button work for you guys ?

it does redirect to the forum but it doesnt let me logout

Any ideas ?

Yea same here MalibuKiller; I like the login bit though pretty simple and cool =]
Just need the logout to work =p