Topic: Making the forum fit in with a website?

I'm creating a website for a friend, and he wants a forum, and preferably one that nicely ties in to the rest of his website. The website is kinda half way there and is viewable here so basically I'd like to use the header, background and all of the other style stuff on the PunBB forum that I've setup for him.

Just want to confirm that if I follow this tutorial to do the main header/navigation (this part's almost finished, just need a logo!) at the top of the forum, and then I can just style the forum as per any other normal style and I can get it looking somewhat inkeeping with the rest of the site?

I assume what I've said is correct, but if some kinda fella could just confirm that before I go ahead and do it, then that'd be fantastic, thanks!

Re: Making the forum fit in with a website?

Sorry to bump this, but I'd like to get it moving asap if possible smile

Moved to Integration
The link is dead right now, but my recollection is that the page only discusses adding a logo to the header.
When you can do is edit main.tpl to add the header/footer for the site.

Ahh got it, thanks smile

It's proving to be an absolute nightmare so far, great forum software, but a complete pain to style, Vanilla was loads easier! :-)

If I get really stuck, would anyone have any objections to me asking some advice on here please? I'm really struggling so far.

No, not at all: it's what the forum is here for wink
If you don't mind me asking, what made Vanilla so much easier?

7 (edited by blizeH 2007-04-08 18:58)

I'm not sure, it's probably just my feable brain struggling to do the obvious, but with Vanilla I managed to find exactly what I was after without any problems at all, I managed to edit the entire thing in about thirty minutes with (imo!) some very pleasing results.

I've been doing this for around an hour now (using a mix match of icons and css from other themes unfortunately, I'm going to ask the author for permission before I go ahead and actually let the forum go live) and in all honesty it looks utterly hideous and very, very messy - http://forum.respectlife.org.uk/ sad

http://forum.respectlife.org.uk/index.php - Just deleted everything I've done and basically used another theme with a header and a slightly modified colour scheme, looks alrightish I reckon, not anything like I'd want it to, but as a potential temporary thing I think it's alright smile

Basically, I'm just wondering how do I remove the padding around the top navigation and header? I've tried a few things without any luck at all sad Basically need no padding around it so the logo is flush with the navigation, and hopefully just sits nicely above the forum/content itself.

Any help would be fantastic, thanks!

Check out
/* 6. SPACING AROUND CONTENT */

Thanks for the reply, I've just tried that however without any luck, I even commented out the whole of that section and still didn't have any luck sad

I basically just want to remove the margin/padding from the top logo and the navigation ; http://forum.respectlife.org.uk/index.php

I'm getting into a right mess hmm Looks terrible, and absolutely nothing like what I want it to, sigh!

Hi BlizeH,

The trick which I have learnt regarding styling PunBB is to do a little bit at a time. Dont expect to edit your main.tpl and have it looking uber-sexy instantly.

Focus on one part of the style which you think looks out of place, for example you think one border should be a different colour. If you use the Search option on this board you will find the answer to nearly all of your questions. Everything has been asked and answered before I believe, it's just a matter of finding the thread again.

If a Search doesnt help then post some specific questions about parts of the style which don't look correct to you and I or some others will try to help out ~ I'm sure one of us will have the answer smile

Cheers,
Will

Cheers downliner, I've been doing it a bit at a time and whilst I've made some progress, like I said above it looks like a complete mess at the moment and for the fourth time now I'm considering scrapping what I've done and starting again sad The main thing confusing me at the moment is how to remove the border at the top of the page, basically need to get it looking as much like this as possible.

Right, a bit more progress, or rather, thanks to people on here (in particular Smartys for his excellent help in IRC too!) I've got it pretty much as I'd like it now. One thing that's still wrong, and I know it's small but it's still bugging me, is some of the menu lists:

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/9493/untitled2qx4.jpg

Thanks!

background-repeat: repeat-x; or it might be background-repeat: repeat-y;

add that to the css where the image is..

lol.
Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

16 (edited by blizeH 2007-04-19 17:48)

Thank you very much quaker big_smile

Finished now I think on the off chance anyone wants to take a look; http://forum.respectlife.org.uk/