Topic: Interesting... txpun.com ~ Whats this?

I did a quick search on this forum and found no mention of this site so wondered if anyone else has heard of it?

http://txpun.com

About TxPun - from the above url

TxPun is a framework for web users.

All too often frameworks target the programmer leaving the web user with rudimentary skills in the dark. Setting up a personal website should be as easy as learning to use an FTP client.

The Open Source projects comprising the Core:

* Textpattern ? a very light CMS with powerful features and extensible via plugins.
    * PunBB ? a Forum that is light on resources but can handle the volume when called upon.
    * singapore ? a Gallery with just the right features that it?s only limits are your disk space.

The Open Source projects available as Modules:

* SimplePie ? a PHP class for reading RSS and Atom syndication feeds.
    * DokuWiki ? a Wiki with simple syntax and fast operation for your documentation needs.

Via plugins, extensions and CSS, the roadmap is:

* One login name/password.
    * Commenting will be handed off to the forum.
    * Similar template/style/theme throughout.

When packaged, TxPun Core will be a 500KB download.

Re: Interesting... txpun.com ~ Whats this?

downliner wrote:

Interesting... txpun.com ~ Whats this?

It's the future dude smile

I wonder why it's trying to use 1.3 tongue

elbekko wrote:

I wonder why it's trying to use 1.3 tongue

Jérémie wrote:

It's the future dude smile

TxPun is an idea that started a few years back. From the start, I never liked commenting on sites, I thought it was awkward and very hard to keep track of. When I began to use Pun, I immediately thought that it would be great for comments.

There was this one story I posted that generated 100's of comments, the bandwidth alone to display this page was incredible, not to mention the strain on the server. I was using Nucleus at the time, so we made improvements to the NP_PunBB plugin, which I successfully used on this site. The front end has since changed, moved it to Textpattern and didn't bother bringing over the stories, but the forum still lives on.

Over the years, I've seen this radical approach to discussions used on more sites. Ars Technica comes to mind, if you click Discussion on a story, you are taken to a forum, very PunBB like I might add. More and more sites are using forums to house their discussions, it appears my idea wasn't so far-fetched after all.

The web is evolving, and so is the way we post content and discuss said content. In the beginning blog comments were cool, but things change and we have to learn to adapt along with it.

hcgtv wrote:

... very PunBB like I might add....

that's an insult to PunBB. EVE is a horrible piece of software. unnecessarily slow also. feels bloated for as stripped down as it is. my opinion of course.

now their(Ars) front end is something to behold. big_smile

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

now their(Ars) front end is something to behold. big_smile

an Ars Technica like front end is a free template away...

More and more, I'm seeing forums like Alternative Information with a nice portal design on the front.

With a CMS, organization and maintenance of the different windows on the front end is easier, it's all done via the admin screens. The top menu options can either be additional CMS sections, the Forum, a Gallery or whatever. What each application has in common is the top two rows let's say, like the Ars site. With each design sharing images and with the speed of PunBB, the user hardly notices an app switch from a cached front page.

Textpattern is my CMS, but as PunBB extends, any front end can be used.