1 (edited by winger 2007-05-02 07:23)

Topic: Pretty much a lot of problems . . . .

Ok, before I'm going to post a big problem topic... Hi, I'm Winger. smile

Now it's time to introduce my problem. . . Here goes.

I bought a domain, hosting, etc. etc. That works. . I figured I want a forum (I'm interested in Graphic Design, for now it's a hobby.)
So, I downloaded punBB, the latest version in the Download section. So far so good.
I have FileZilla, a FTP client for windows. ( http://filezilla-project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page )
Filezilla works.. It's connected to my site and everything... Here comes the problem... I downloaded and extracted punBB,
It came out with 3 maps , and 1 unknown file

The 3 maps are called:    docs, extras ,  upload
The 1 'unknown' file is called: COPYING

I looked thru the ''Installation and Upgrade Instructions'' and it said on top:

''
Requirements

* A webserver (preferably Apache).
    * PHP 4.1.0 or later (PHP 5 included).
    * MySQL 3.23.17 or later, PostgreSQL 7.0 or later or SQLite. (see details below).
''

I have a server... and MySQL .. As far as I know.. but I didn't had PHP .. I could click on 'PHP' in the Installation and Upgrade Intructions, so I did .
It directed me to http://www.php.net/   -   So I clicked on 'Downloads' (http://www.php.net/downloads.php)

And downloaded:

PHP 5.2.1
Complete Source Code

* PHP 5.2.1 (tar.bz2) [6,995Kb] - 08 Feb 2007
      md5: 261218e3569a777dbd87c16a15f05c8d

-----

I putted the 3 punBB 1.2.5. Maps and the unknown file in my FTP (via FileZilla) and now I'm putting the whole PHP 5.2.1
Complete Source Code file in my FTP with it....

------

Is that what I should do? It takes so long and I don't really know what to do.... I would really appreciate if you could help me out smile

Re: Pretty much a lot of problems . . . .

NO! STOP!

the only thing you upload to your webspace is the FOLDER "upload". THEN after you create a MySQL database you run the install.php file and follow the directions from then on.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Okay! Thanks a bunch mate.

Only one thing, Where's that 'instal.php' file? and what should I do with the rest? Is that PHP 5.2.1
Complete Source Code file needed?

smile

unless you host does NOT supply php for you then it is not needed.

the install.php file is in the "upload" folder.
http://punbb.org/docs/install.html  read this for a little bit of help.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

I can't open the install.php file.
It's not a file type it says,

My PC can't find any programs to open it with .. if you understand what I mean.
It doesn't knows with which program it's made...

^That's why I need PHP?

I don't understand, I can't run it..

You have to run it through your web browser. Being a web application and all.

7 (edited by winger 2007-05-02 09:20)

Thanks elbekko. That works indeed.

But everytime I fill in the form and press 'Start Install' it keeps 'refreshing' and all things I filled in are blank.

It also gives weird codes above and under the 'Installation screen'

----

It gives a shitload of codes like

here instead.'); // Make sure we are running at least PHP 4.1.0 if (intval(str_replace('.', '', phpversion())) < 410) exit('You are running PHP version '.PHP_VERSION.'. PunBB requires at least PHP 4.1.0 to run properly. You must upgrade your PHP installation before you can continue.'); // Disable error reporting for uninitialized variables error_reporting(E_ALL); // Turn off PHP time limit @set_time_limit(0); if (!isset($_POST['form_sent'])) { // Determine available database extensions $dual_mysql = false; $db_extensions = array(); if (function_exists('mysqli_connect')) $db_extensions[] = array('mysqli', 'MySQL Improved'); if (function_exists('mysql_connect')) { $db_extensions[] = array('mysql', 'MySQL Standard'); if (count($db_extensions) > 1) $dual_mysql = true; } if (function_exists('sqlite_open')) $db_extensions[] = array('sqlite', 'SQLite'); if (function_exists('pg_connect')) $db_extensions[] = array('pgsql', 'PostgreSQL'); if (empty($db_extensions)) exit('This PHP environment does not have support for any of the databases that PunBB supports. PHP needs to have support for either MySQL, PostgreSQL or SQLite in order for PunBB to be installed.'); ?>

------

The installation thing shows up indeed, but I don't think all those codes around it should be there, and It also doesn't really works... sad

8 (edited by winger 2007-05-02 10:04)

winger wrote:

Thanks elbekko. That works indeed.

But everytime I fill in the form and press 'Start Install' it keeps 'refreshing' and all things I filled in are blank.

It also gives weird codes above and under the 'Installation screen'

----

It gives a shitload of codes like

here instead.'); // Make sure we are running at least PHP 4.1.0 if (intval(str_replace('.', '', phpversion())) < 410) exit('You are running PHP version '.PHP_VERSION.'. PunBB requires at least PHP 4.1.0 to run properly. You must upgrade your PHP installation before you can continue.'); // Disable error reporting for uninitialized variables error_reporting(E_ALL); // Turn off PHP time limit @set_time_limit(0); if (!isset($_POST['form_sent'])) { // Determine available database extensions $dual_mysql = false; $db_extensions = array(); if (function_exists('mysqli_connect')) $db_extensions[] = array('mysqli', 'MySQL Improved'); if (function_exists('mysql_connect')) { $db_extensions[] = array('mysql', 'MySQL Standard'); if (count($db_extensions) > 1) $dual_mysql = true; } if (function_exists('sqlite_open')) $db_extensions[] = array('sqlite', 'SQLite'); if (function_exists('pg_connect')) $db_extensions[] = array('pgsql', 'PostgreSQL'); if (empty($db_extensions)) exit('This PHP environment does not have support for any of the databases that PunBB supports. PHP needs to have support for either MySQL, PostgreSQL or SQLite in order for PunBB to be installed.'); ?>

------

The installation thing shows up indeed, but I don't think all those codes around it should be there, and It also doesn't really works... sad

Is it possible that I need to download PHP of some kind... or something..  It just gives a lot of weird codes above and under it and doesn't works..

P.S. Sorry for the dubble post

No, it sounds like your host does not support PHP

If your host does not support php there is really nothing you can do about it. Its something that has to be installed by your hosting service. Its a real problem because most forum (PunBB, phpBB, Vanilla etc) are written in php as are most gallery scripts, blogs and other web applications. The short answer is you really need a different host because you are going to find it rather frustrating not being able to run any applications.

If you give us a link to the hosting provider we can confirm whether php support is included.

11 (edited by winger 2007-05-02 13:02)

It's a dutch host.. it says:

* 2 domeinen naar keuze (.nl, .eu, .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz)
    * 200 e-mailaccounts (POP3 & IMAP)
    * 1000 MB webspace
    * 50 GB traffic
    * STRATO Fotoalbum
    * STRATO Communicator
    * STRATO LivePages
    * STRATO ProBlog
    * NIEUW: STRATO BackupManager
    * AntiVirus & AntiSpam
    * PHP, Perl, CGI, Python, Ruby
    * Backup control
    * Cron jobs & SSL encryptie
    * MySQL databanken

It does says PHP, as you can see hmm Right??

I looked further on the site of my host and it said in Dutch:

''Ervaren webontwikkelaars worden ondersteund bij de toepassing van scripttalen als Perl, PHP, Ruby en Python''

=

'' Experienced webdesigners are supported with the use of 'scriptlanguage ' like Perl, PHP, Ruby and Python''

---

So, I think it does supply PHP . .  . .  What to do ? sad

If the host does supports PHP, what could the problem be?
I use Mozilla Firefox as web-browser.

Talk to your host then wink

14 (edited by winger 2007-05-02 18:01)

Hmm.. Pretty good idea.. . . smile

But to be honest I don't see what this has to do with my host, I mean I Downloaded Punbb and the Install.php file opens, and shows all these codes. .
I don't have any knowlegde about PHP or HTML or anything like that. .

Wait, lemme show you an example. . . .
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7638/error1un0.jpg

This is what shows up . .

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5023/error2be1.jpg
^ Scrolled down a bit - after this it gives a hell load of codes..

And then scrolled to the bottem...
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8985/error3fy1.jpg

(Soz for the weird crappy quality, imageshack resized it hmm )

And ofcourse I once tried to fill it in . . But It just like, 'refreshes' the page and it's all blank again..

smile

Why do I get the feeling you're not actually uploading the files? =/

16 (edited by winger 2007-05-02 18:29)

elbekko wrote:

Why do I get the feeling you're not actually uploading the files? =/

What? I uploaded the 'upload' file. And the screenshots where taken from the map 'upload' and then I selected 'install.php' and it opens with my webbrowser.

i think it's time we created PunBB Trustees. wink a group of trusted members to install fresh boards for newcomers and beginners. smile

@Elbekko: i just tested that theory and my results don't match his. i get an install page void of any style and no raw code displayed like his.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

18 (edited by winger 2007-05-02 19:35)

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

i think it's time we created PunBB Trustees. wink a group of trusted members to install fresh boards for newcomers and beginners. smile

@Elbekko: i just tested that theory and my results don't match his. i get an install page void of any style and no raw code displayed like his.

Trustees, would be cool big_smile

I still don't know what's wrong, why can't it just all go right and easy with me sad hehe . .  It should work... or did I missed something? did I do something wrong?

Darn I want it to be fixed so badly, haha xD

------------------------

Is it fix-able? sad

What you were supposed to do is as follows
1. Go to your website using your ftp client and create a folder under your sites main folder called, for example, forum.
2. Upload the contents of the upload folder to that folder
3. Create an empty database for your forum install
4. Open your web browser and go to yourwebsiteaddress/forum/install.php

Is that what you did?

20 (edited by winger 2007-05-03 13:11)

Paul wrote:

What you were supposed to do is as follows
1. Go to your website using your ftp client and create a folder under your sites main folder called, for example, forum.
2. Upload the contents of the upload folder to that folder
3. Create an empty database for your forum install
4. Open your web browser and go to yourwebsiteaddress/forum/install.php

Is that what you did?

Thank you so much, now it works. Only one thing that doesn't works yet,

When I enter my information, and click 'install'

It gives an error , it says:

An error occured on line 58 in file /mnt/ja2/04/785/00000020/htdocs/forum/upload/include/dblayer/mysql.php.

PunBB reported: Unable to connect to MySQL server. MySQL reported: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

I do have MySQL . . .

Could someone please help me ?:)

Looks like your MySQL server may not have started, or that you entered the wrong information.

elbekko wrote:

Looks like your MySQL server may not have started, or that you entered the wrong information.

I checked again, and again and your right! I got confused . . 

It all works now!

But. The one and final last thing.. where's the config.php file? I can't find it big_smile

23 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2007-05-03 16:53)

you have to create one with the supplied code from the installation process. there is a sample one in the "extras" folder called "example_config.php". make sure to save the file as a php file and not a txt file. a very common mistake when using something like notepad.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

you have to create one with the supplied code from the installation process. there is a sample one in the "extras" folder called "example_config.php". make sure to save the file as a php file and not a txt file. a very common mistake when using something like notepad.

It works, it exists!

Thank you all who helped me, I greatly aprecciate it, you helped a little newb (:P),

Thanks a lot. smile