1 (edited by kfordham281 2007-01-18 04:18)

Topic: Thinking of moving from phpbb....why do you like PunBB?

I don't want to bash this forum or that.....just curious why you chose PunBB.  Citing specific features or functions would be great.  I've done some searching on this forum and this is what I have gathered so far.  Please add your own reasons:

-Code seems clean and easy to mod
-Valid html and css (perhaps the biggest reason why I'm thinking of changing)
-Fast

One thing I'd like to know is if there is a good admin interface to easily remove/change many accounts at one time.  E.g. deleting the spam registrations.

Thanks!

Re: Thinking of moving from phpbb....why do you like PunBB?

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5936 is what you want for advanced user management smile

I selected it because it's fast and efficient and the default theme/layout is simple and clean. Most other forums are so visually cluttered it makes my head spin.

I've used just about every other forum system out there from phpBB, vB, IPB, textforum, SMF, etc and punBB is my first choice since I found it last year. I've used it several times. I prefer it over others mainly because its so lite. It comes with the basics you need to run a forum then you can add whatever else you need. Its very fast, valid xhtml/css, and a great active community also makes a huge difference.

There are tons of plugins to add just about everything you would need. Some of my forums are very simple and only have the Private Message plugin while others i've installed I've used several plugins. Its great to have that option to include only what you need. The styles are easy to change and create your own. Overall its just great. A few minor downfalls right now but all that seems to be in the works with the upcoming release.

I went ahead and took the plunge....so far I really like it!

http://cpadventures.com/forum

Great job PunBB crew!!!

Took the plunge, I like the pun wink

Valid strict XHTML and CSS. Fast and light.

fast, light, easy to code for, easy to style/skin, easy to admin and just plain easy to use. plus it's free.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Fast & light of course. I don't have 300 different plugins that I don't want, and can't get rid of.
It's easy to customize, and the easiest to all aspects of your site into the forum, or aspects of the forum into your site.

pretty much every script devteam/comunity says that the 'baby' is fast, light secure, etc.
concerning speed if you belive my word, punbb is BY FAR the fastest.
I sugest you test it, no need to make any special complicated tests. Just browse it, the difference is huge.

I gave a try to phorum ( "it's like fast and stuff" ) , it's a similar aproach to punbb, not bad at all, but punbb is beter. I run punbb and phorum in the same server, no ofense to phorum, but is way slower than punbb.

other advatage is the code: it's super easy to follow because it's simple. I get annoyed with all those fancy ways of code that nobody understands because they are suposed to be advanced and dificult. With punbb you easly follow the code execution and it's damn simple to code hacks for it.

also: it ouputs Valid strict XHTML and CSS, google gets all crazzy with it. Keep it valid and google will keep up snapshot of your site on a weekly base. Once again, make your tests, the differences are surprising.

The only thing, that I think is missing on PunBB is an internal post system, private messages...

I haven't found it on my forum :s

punbb is good but be prepared for spam, one thing ive noticed is that SMF is much better against spam