Topic: Probs aligning and styling the forum, getting frustrating

If you go to the forum on my page:
http://vwreck.knmserver.com/

The forum opens in a iframe, also it should have the scrollbar to the right but the one at the bottom should not be there... I've tried changing the table properties in my own copied and modified CSS file. However I cannot seem to be able to get rid of this bar?!? Seems the two "frames" at the bottom is causing problems, if I change the punmain and punplain classes these get really weird widths. One does not seem to change and the other goes sorta half way.

I've checked the scripts and source to find if there is any set items there but with little luck in finding or getting any better result changing any setting...

Please if anyone may have a clue please let me know.

Re: Probs aligning and styling the forum, getting frustrating

Looks fine in Firebird/Mozilla ... but I don't have time to test/debug in IE right now, sorry. Try adding style="padding: 0; margin: 0;
overflow:auto;"
to the iframe tag ...

Hmm tried it and a few other things... just wont work properly.
argh...

4 (edited by Paul 2004-02-04 01:37)

Just as an experiment, try removing the Doctype declaration.

I read somewhere that the problem with IE is that it adds the width of the vertical scrollbar to the width of the content of the iframe. That means if the content is 100% of the width of the iframe and then you add the width of the vertical scrollbar you are bound to end up with a horizontal scrollbar. It seems that getting rid of the Doctype has been known to solve the problem.

Another thing you could try is put the whole board in a wrapper div and set its width to say 90% and see what happens.

Holy crap was this ever bothering the bajesus outta me! I had the exact same problem... using iframes and all. I just wanted to elaborate on what Paul said. Removing the Doctype is in fact the solution in case anyone else is having this problem. Just open the template files found in /include/template and remove the 1st line in each file.

hahaha, at last! I've really tried to solve this with all kinds of methods, thanks Matt smile

As I understand it the line removed is only to ensure handcomputers to view the content of the forum?

7 (edited by CodeXP 2006-04-22 07:51)

merlin wrote:

hahaha, at last! I've really tried to solve this with all kinds of methods, thanks Matt smile

As I understand it the line removed is only to ensure handcomputers to view the content of the forum?

No. Here's a brief explanation of the doctype tag. Really, removing the doctype probably will cause you more problems then it solves, seeing as it'll mean that you'll kick off a browsers quirks mode.

What you could do, is add the following line above the doctype declaration:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

(note: Change encoding="utf-8" to the same as the encoding your forum currently uses. For a default PunBB install, this would be iso-8859-1)

It's perfectly legal xhtml, and will not cause problems with a proper browser (Opera, Firefox etc.), and should only make IE use the quirks mode.