1 (edited by towelie 2007-05-26 18:23)

Topic: What people expect of you?

Okay so, in the past two days I have gotten two offers of 50$USD each to work on peoples websites. Now this isnt really alot of money and considering the amount of time that certain things would take, I don't know if its worth it. The same thing happened a few weeks ago, and I agreed to help the person and they bailed out like the next day after I had done a bunch of shit.

Personally I don't see myself as being all that skilled of a programmer and somewhat lacking in style areas, especially css. Should I tell people that others would be better suited to what they want? For the types of prices I am getting offered it seems a little ridiculous. I don't know what do you think?

-took out a quote.

2 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2007-05-26 20:28)

Re: What people expect of you?

i guess it would all depends on what they wanted and wanted it for. if it's for say a personal site or blog and they don't mind pre-cut scripts (PunBB, wordpress, etc) and all you have to do is install, then $50 is fine. if you have to do alot of modifying and customizing then you should set an hourly rate that you could live on + a little extra.

keep in mind that professional web designers are EXPENSIVE in most cases. especially for one-off work.

all in all it would really depend on if YOU feel you are getting what your time is worth. if not charge more, people will come to you regardless.

all in my own opinion.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Thanks a lot Dr.Jeckyl..

What I was asked to do today was do a "Joomla integration with a CSS site". The person wanted modules and menus installed using Joomla to work with this site here. I have seen a fair amount of Joomla but it always seemed fairly bloated to me so I never experimented with it. If I knew a bit about it maybe I could have taken them up on their offer. Would you have done it? Does that seem like fair pay?

if i were to do that it would cost alot more than $50. but then again i don't know Joomla all that well so it could be alot easier than i'm thinking.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Yeah, that is kind of what my standpoint was on the whole issue. Plus it was a little bit random, the person pmed me on sitepoint asking to do it.