Topic: Build page around each forum? Redirect URL?

Is it possible to build seperate pages around each forum in one PunBB installation? To start with I'd like to add some RSS news feeds relevant to the forum topics.

Each forum uses website.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=X. Is there a way to replace that with a nice looking URL (like Wordpress does):

website.com/forum/puppies
website.com/forum/kitties

I can set a "Redirect URL" in the Administration area under Forums. What can I use that for? I've tried some things that didn't work...

Where in the code could I add (php include?) additional forum specific content?

(I tried a search on these issues, but couldn't find anything. Can't think of good keywords.)

Re: Build page around each forum? Redirect URL?

Redirect URLs are used for making a forum actually link to another site (The Punres link on the index of this forum is an example).
As for adding keywords in URLs, you would have to create a .htaccess file to send the requests to viewforum.php and you would have to modify viewforum.php to figure out the correct forum from the name.

3 (edited by Peter 2007-05-28 17:05)

Re: Build page around each forum? Redirect URL?

Thanks Smartys!

I have a .htaccess from Wordpress. It has gibberish like this:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^([a-z0-9_-]+)/([0-9]+)/ index.php?category=$1 articlespage=$2 [L]

I guess I need something like that for viewforum.php?id=X

Modify viewforum?! I only have to figure out how to let .htaccess serve up '...forum/viewforum.php?id=1' when someone types in '...forum/puppies', right?

Any pointers would be very welcome, because most tutorials I see go way too deep into the programming logic behind .htaccess for my purpose here.

Building pages around each seperate forum is a different issue, right? Where should I start with that? Is it at all possible? Has anyone done it?