Topic: pun_htmlspecialchars

Just another quickie. big_smile What variables should the above generally be used upon? I know the page title is always done with it, but should other page headings and/or page displayed usernames be prepended by it also in the scripts?

Cheers,

Matt

Re: pun_htmlspecialchars

In general, you would be best served to use in on *all* user-submited data before displaying the page(s).

3 (edited by MattF 2007-06-10 14:07)

So it's better to be excessive in its use then? So usernames, filenames and every other thing they may have had a dabble in naming? big_smile

Cheers,

Matt

Every place where you can't say with 100% certainty that the value will never contain HTML, etc
So, echoing an int stored in the database? Don't bother.
Echoing a string? Use it

Thanks. smile

Matt

6 (edited by MattF 2007-06-10 16:05)

Right, I know I said it was just a quickie, but............ big_smile

Would the following do what I expect? Just so I can use a shorthand method, if anybody's wondering. big_smile

function esanitise($cleanoutput)
{
global $db, $lang_common, $lang_forum, $lang_index, $pun_config, $pun_start, $tpl_main;

echo pun_htmlspecialchars($cleanoutput);

}

I don't know if all those global bits are required? I just based this on the existing message() function.

Cheers again,

Matt

7 (edited by MattF 2007-06-10 16:05)

Just realised the downnfall of the above method. It does assume you want to echo the output. big_smile So, a secondary one like this:

function vsanitise($parseinput)
{
global $db, $lang_common, $lang_forum, $lang_index, $pun_config, $pun_start, $tpl_main;

$cleanoutput = pun_htmlspecialchars($parseinput);

}

would make two functions that would suit for either cleaning and echoing the input, (example one), or making a variable from the input, (example two), that could be passed to the inscript variable?

Thanks again,

Matt

You don't need the global line since you're using none of those variables.
For the second function, I think you want to return the value, not store it in a local variable
For both functions, why can't you simply call pun_htmlspecialchars when you need it, as opposed to wrapping it in a new function?

Smartys wrote:

You don't need the global line since you're using none of those variables.
For the second function, I think you want to return the value, not store it in a local variable

Cheers. smile

Smartys wrote:

For both functions, why can't you simply call pun_htmlspecialchars when you need it, as opposed to wrapping it in a new function?

Simple answer? Less to type. big_smile Don't like using copy and paste if possible, so I usually hand type everything.