Topic: What's with the absence of updates?

The last source update was done nearly three weeks ago. What's up?

Re: What's with the absence of updates?

To avoid creating a new topic, I'm going to post this suggestion here.

IE6 and lower apply CSS faster when the tag name is specified along with the ID or span. For example, in http://dev.punbb.org/browser/branches/p … /print.css

.pun-common,
.pun-form,
.pun-modmenu,
.pun-mainhead,
.pun-mainfoot,
.postlinks,
#pun-maintitle,
.post dt span,
.pun-main h2 span.item2,

should be,

div.pun-common,
div.pun-form,
div.pun-modmenu,
div.pun-mainhead,
div.pun-mainfoot,
div.postlinks,
div#pun-maintitle,
div.post dt span,
div.pun-main h2 span.item2,

(Replacing div with the appropiate tag name, of course.)

1. IE5 won't be supported by the default styles though 5.5 should still work fine.

2. Whilst everything has to work in IE6 I don't think it appropriate to optomise for a previous generation browser.

3. I doubt the difference in rendering time could be detected in normal use.

4. There is no point in taking too close a look a the stylesheets as they are just for development. They will be torn up and replaced prior to release.

orlandu63 wrote:

The last source update was done nearly three weeks ago. What's up?

Things doesn't need to be 'commited' to still be under development, not everything that needs to be done is php/css/html. Some things, things like planning ahead and finding best ways to implement things isn't visible in an svn ... and there's also other things that make progress, that isn't visible in committed code wink

But open source projects usually have ups and downs in activity aswell, as people use their free time to do things, and if there's less free time, there's less time to put into the projects. (like, I've recently been on sick leave for 2.5 weeks, where I was in a state of mind that doesn't make good code, I couldn't even use my computer during half that time. And on my job, this weekend I was commanded to work, as something needed to be ready for production on monday morning, so I put ~20 hours on it during this weekend = not that much PunBB time, but I still have done things on it today, things not visible on the svn wink big_smile)

Paul wrote:

2. Whilst everything has to work in IE6 I don't think it appropriate to optomise for a previous generation browser.

Doing so is still considered good practice, though.

orlandu63 wrote:
Paul wrote:

Doing so is still considered good practice, though.

Considered by whom? Certainly not by me and not by anybody else I can think of. Now there may be a case for prefixing classes with the tag from a point of view of making the stylesheets easier to follow but thats a different point alltogether.

And sometimes it's needed to simplify style weight, or to create something specific. But doing it for every class/id rule isn't good practice.