Topic: Couple Problems

Hi everyone-

I use punbb for our game website simsportsworld.com.

The fourms are located here:

http://www.simsportsworld.com/forums/

I only have 2 issues right now.

1.  All through out the forums they seem to lock up the browser for a few seconds when scrolling.  This happens both on the front page and when viewing messages. Its rather annoying, any way to get this to go away?  I dont see it on this forum.

2.  Each forum seems to sort the messages by the date / time of the first post rather than by the latest post.  This seems a little unorthadox, but i cant find anything in the options or any mods out there that switches this.

Sorry for the noob questions thanks for your response
Rob

Re: Couple Problems

1. I don't see it on your forum either though the pages are take too long to load which can give the same impression if you try to scroll before the page is fully loaded. There are two reasons your pages loads slowly. First, you have 32kb of images, second, you don't seem to have file compression active on that server.

The file compression issue is the one to concentrate on as it would speed up the load of all the pages on your site and would also make the page loading much smoother in IE.

I can leave the browser up for an hour and it still will lag when scrolling, it has nothing to do with the load times.  Im surprised your not getting it, all my users are getting them.   The longer the posts the worse it gets....

rob

I've tested again. Fine in Firefox, Opera and Safari. In IE scrolling using the scrollbar is a little jerky. If I block javascript then everything works fine in IE.

I've seen and reported a similar problem before.
This has to do with IE exclusively
The scrolling chokes up for half a second at each 2 seconds for example.. I'm pretty sure if you hold on any key in a post message field for 3 seconds it's repetition will stop as well.
The problem originated in the board's sidebar.. but yours don't have any.

Here in the states IE is the most common browser.  Why would blocking javascript make that happen?

Because part of the script is targeted only at IE and thats the bit thats causing the problem. In fact, the javascript is completely pointless. All it does is text rollovers for the menu which could be done with css.

ok what about sorting the messages by the latest post rather than the time and date of the first post of each topic.  How is this done?

simsportsworld wrote:

ok what about sorting the messages by the latest post rather than the time and date of the first post of each topic.  How is this done?

That's how PunBB sorts topics already, and it appears to be working fine on your forum.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:
simsportsworld wrote:

That's how PunBB sorts topics already, and it appears to be working fine on your forum.

The way PunBB sorts topics is pretty much standard for forums, and blogs for that matter. Putting the latest post first would move the topic to the end which kind of makes the thread meaningless. However, I think it is simply a matter of altering one of the queries and I'm sure somebody will be along in a minute to tell you how.