Topic: Error writing to cache

I am getting this error, and didn't previously.  I deleted all cache files, but it still gives:

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to write bans cache file to cache directory. Please make sure PHP has write access to the directory 'cache'

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Re: Error writing to cache

You need to chmod your cache folder so that PHP can write to it

Forgive me, but that is where I am out of my6 league.  I am aware of setting permissions for FTP, but is there a tutorial on CHMOD'ing the cache folder?  Thank you.

something like http://www.zachjorgensen.net/za/chmodtutor.html

all you do, is right click on the folder, i think all ftp programs have chmod on them, even internet explorer, you want permessions or propitys depending on the program.

then you should see the 9 boxes (or more)
http://www.zachjorgensen.net/za/pics/chmodtutor777.jpg
that is chmod777 so you want to make it look like that

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Oh that is chmod.  That I know, and have done.  Thank you very much for the info and effort!

Very appreciated.

Hello, I have a situation with a unix server and the installation. I upload the config.php file and attempt to chmod the cache folder, but my server only allows me to chmod the files themselves, not the folders.

I see here where somebody says they deleted the index.html file and .htaccess file that are the only two files I see in the cache folder.

Is that an option for me? I tried to chmod (all write, exec, and read checked boxes) the index file and then the ..htaccess fille disappears, I keep the index.html file and I can't start up the forum.

...help.

and could the installation instructions be more clear about that aspect? I've sampled a few forum platforms and this is the only one stumping me, so far

yikes

sorry for the double post.

I asked about this in a thread that looked better suited to my issue:

· Help me with building a forum using punBB please by cisco4networking

chmodding can be done on folders as well as files.

9 (edited by Smartys 2007-09-12 02:23)

oops!

egads!

:roll eyes:

here is the answer:

yemgi wrote:

chmod is a unix command to change the rights on files and folders
You can modify the rights with your ftp client by right clicking on the folders then choose properties. 777 allows every one to read, write and execute files in the folder

thanks. (embarrassed)

I was impatient. I found out (never used my ftp app features) I could change the properties without using the webshell command which gave me the issues.

I'm on the forum      now  .

maybe somebody could add a *right click* hint in the install package?

Edit: I edited your post to use the quote tag -Smartys

Except a right click hint would be useless to anyone who used an application which didn't support right click actions (or chmodding with right clicking). wink
Calling it what it is (chmodding) allows you to search and find out how to do it.

11 (edited by Unidante 2007-09-12 03:16)

Smartys wrote:

Except a right click hint would be useless to anyone who used an application which didn't support right click actions (or chmodding with right clicking). wink
Calling it what it is (chmodding) allows you to search and find out how to do it.

I would assume most newer applications do support right clicking and those having an issue are new to chmod-ing, but you know what they say about those who ass-u-me too much, dontcha?

I still think it would be great to include it. A few install sheets I've read will give an instruction (with the most obvious exception to the rule) in parenthesis or something like it. Having to Google some things has had the effect of me not using a platform/software. I know others who just walk away.

I am persistent and will always come back later but at some point a Google leads to houyrs of more Google.

It is like most blogs that link to blogs that link to blogs back to where you started from.

the more difficulty with an installation...

---

I found the solution after hunting through the older threads. Most people have not the time.

maybe a common errors in installation thread pinned would help?

but thanks for the reply

cool