1 (edited by Cherry 2006-03-01 19:32)

Topic: nutty generated urls

My (otherwise fabulous) PunBB generates some very strange urls. As you click through the forum links, the paths get longer & longer, until you end up with something like http://homeholistics.com/ forum/forum/topic/forum/topic/forum ......

This was making life unduly complicated, so we tried using mod_rewrites to tidy up the links.
Trouble is, every time we fix one problem, another one pops up!

The biggest difficulty is the forum/forum/ business.
Some of the pages, eg user profile, actually do have a path like so:- http://homeholistics.com/
new_share/forum/forum/profile/7
therefore, just eliminating the duplication won't work because other links will break.

Please can you illuminate why this is happening - and what's the best way to handle it?
Thank you smile

Cherry.

[edited to break up the urls]

Re: nutty generated urls

I can't see how this is a bug as you obviously aren't using an unmodded punbb and its obviously a mod that is causing the problem. What mod are you using for the URLs?

I'm really sorry, I should have posted in troubleshooting.

I asked an expert to make some modifications, specifically to overcome this weird behaviour with the file paths - so I can't explain exactly what he's done! I was kind of hoping you'd be able to give us a clue as to what might be causing it: I've not seen this happen before with PunBB and my base URL is correct.

Is there a certain page or directory I should examine, to find out how the paths are generated?

Thanks, Connor, and sorry again for posting to the wrong forum.
Cherry.

Hrmm, are you linking between two separate forums?

Hi, elbekko smile

No, but my consultant has just emailed back saying he thinks there's a problem with the server configuration roll
I'm going to try & get my hosts to restart Apache before we spend much more time on this.

Thank you for your help!
Cherry.

Moving to troubleshooting.