1 (edited by rchapman 2006-05-23 21:06)

Topic: HTTP_REFERER thrown when using other than port 80?

I'm getting the Bad HTTP_REFERER error when trying to administer my installation from the outside world. . I'm thinking it _may_ be related to the fact that I'm using a non-standard port (8889) for my server. I've had no trouble with this configuration for the past 2 years or so, but recently upgraded to 1.2.11 and this is about the time the problem started occurring.

Can anyone suggest a course of action? Thank you!

EDIT:

To be more clear, I'm running the installation on a server with an internal IP address in the 192.168.x.x space. The server listens on port 80. My firewall performs NAT and forwards requests to port 8889 to port 80 of the internal machine. So, from the outside world, the URL looks like: http://x.x.x.x:8889/forum. This is what I have (and have had) set as the Base URL.

Re: HTTP_REFERER thrown when using other than port 80?

Which port you use shouldn't matter as long as you use the same URL as "Base URL" to administer the forums.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hmmm.

So, if I still receive an error when Base URL is the same as the URL I enter to administer the forum, what would be the next thing to investigate?

Thanks also for the fast reponse!

4 (edited by Smartys 2006-05-23 21:43)

I use 8080 for my server: works fine
The next thing to check I think would be to echo out what HTTP_REFERER actually is when you submit the form

Disable Norton Internet Security or Zonealarm or any kind of "Internet security" app you have running and try again.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."