1 (edited by s0me0ne 2006-05-24 04:03)

Topic: Sharing our code/hacks? best method to do so?

If we have hacks or little edits to the code, by the GPL we have to share them dont we? Even if its simple crap like editing in a custom copyright or header?

I plan to make a minor hack to one of my forums soon and was wondering the best way to make that code available. Should I put a small link at the bottom of the page that says: mods&hacks and links to a page with the code for my hacks? I'm looking for an elegant way to do this and thast the best method or idea I have. As far as I know most sites dont do this for any other web apps they edit when they do have to make edits to it. Personally Ive never seen any sites/forums that share code when u konw they edited something opensource, sure sometimes u see something at the bottom by the copyright about what mod/plugin they use for some things on PHPBB but thast only like maybe 5% that do that and then that leaves out all the hacks people are doing.

i plan to put a rel="nofollow" on that link and make that page like static HTML or something with some other stuff to protect it from being indexed by search engines.

does anyone have any better suggestions? smile

Re: Sharing our code/hacks? best method to do so?

lol tongue
If it's just a hack you made personally for your site's use only, you don't have to release it under the GPL
As soon as you want to distribute it though, it should be done through something like PunRes

Re: Sharing our code/hacks? best method to do so?

As Smarty's says, if you release code as a mod then it has to be released as GPL but you don't have to release it. You are perfectly welcome to make changes to your forum just for yourself, a lot of people do.