Topic: Collation Problems

Hi, I have recently switched to PunBB from phpBB. I used to have Adsense ads on the phpBB forum earlier, and I also have them now on my PunBB forum.

I am sometimes getting ads in swedish since the switchover, while my forum is wholly in english. I went to phpMyAdmin and found that the collation of all the tables in the database is "latin1_swedish_ci", while it was not so in my phpBB database.

http://i1.tinypic.com/23j4p6v.jpg

I want to know how I can change the collation to utf-8 (English) and whether this will have any bearing on the ads. Thanks.

Re: Collation Problems

Adsense bases itself on the content of your pages. So if you have seevral posts in Swedish, it may show Swedish ads.

Thanks for your reply, but as I said, not a single post is in swedish. It is an English forum.

And I didnt face this before switching over to PunBB.

Just noticed the ads on this forum have gone missing.

hcgtv wrote:

A few weeks ago I emailed Rickard to report to him that ads for a PhpBB host were showing up (in a topic about AdSense he had requested reports of such occurrences so he could block them), and in his reply to my email he said that he was planning on removing the ads once he got enough money for his payout anyway.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

I began putting Adsense on my blog as an exercise to learn how to do it so I could answer support requests.

Then I started to notice that my pages were getting spidered faster and more often, at least that's what I started seeing in my logs, YMMV.

Since then I place Adsense ads on all my sites, irregardless if it's a blog, forum or gallery. They're unobtrusive, load very fast and a few dollars here and there pays for hosting, donations to projects, etc.

Anyone?

8 (edited by prozente 2006-08-04 09:45)

from searching I came up with this

alter table tablename default collate utf8_general_ci;

hcgtv wrote:

Yeah, I got tired of them.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."