1 (edited by chris jones 2006-10-13 14:22)

Topic: Using PayPal to generate passwords in PunBB?

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty sure I've searched everywhere so please excuse me if this has been answered somewhere else already. I'm definitely not a technical kind of guy but using RapidWeaver (i.e. avoiding HTML) I've got my website near to completion.

The final thing before I launch it that I need to figure out is how to integrate PayPal into the PunBB forum so that I can automatically generate usernames and passwords. Again, please forgive me if that's not meant to happen.

I know PayPal has a password generation feature but to me it appears to be something that integrates into the "website" side of the house as opposed to the "forum" side of the house (I'm integrating PunBB into the website using an iFrame). Am I right or wrong?

Some info you might like to know about my website:

I will be providing free weekly reports and intend to have a subscription based forum for people to discuss the reports as well as other issues brought up by the subscribers.

and

I don't plan on generating any income by hosting advertising at all; it would kind of compromise the integrity of the website. That is why I want to incorporate PayPal into the PunBB forum.

Until I actually launch the website I don't want to say that much more about its content etc. Hope you don't mind and can understand.;)

So does anyone know if it's possible to integrate PayPal into the PunBB side of the house? If so could you please point me in the right direction for figuring it out or at least tell me where I failed to look in these forums?:/

Any help, especially the kind a mere mortal such as myself can understand, will be much appreciated.

Chris

Re: Using PayPal to generate passwords in PunBB?

chris, i would also like this funtions for an idea that i have.
simple terms would be a user sign up then it kicks then to paypal for a code. which returns then to punbb or there email addy for a code. that allows then to login.
or a simple way is to create a member group for all new users that doesnt give them access to anything until u receive payment. that might be a start there.
then get some one that knows paypal api system to design it for you. it would take moding the register.php file and some db info.

ill ask my good friend who a punbb wizzard if it is possible.

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Thank you Quaker,

That was the first time I posed a question in a forum. I've been keeping an eye on it all day (I'm still at work) and seeing how the number of times it's viewed has been creeping up yet I only have one reply; I guess it's something that other people really aren't too sure about either. I was expecting to at least get loads of people saying that it's obvious/easy and that I just need to do this, this and this. In some ways it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who doesn't know although that doesn't solve my problem! Oh well.

Anyway, I've got to admit that the stuff you told me to do sounds a bit out of my league in terms of my technical abilities, but now that I know a few of the terms you mentioned I should be able to figure out either how to stumble through it myself or, at least what to ask someone else to help me with.

It would be great if your wizard friend knows how to do it; I'll keep checking this forum throughout the weekend and next week. Thanks again and thanks in advance to your wizard friend if he can help.

Chris

PayPal API eh... I should take a decent look at it one day, but it can't be that hard eh big_smile

But PunBB has a standard password generation feature if email confirmation is on. Maybe it's easier to just use that tongue

i agree make a user group called newbies(or unpaid or anything u want).
the make it default
so when someone sign up they will be in that group
once they pay you can promote them to paid membership

Personally, I'd take advantage of PayPal's IPN system. Whenever you get a confirmed payment, have the script create an account with the correct group ID (and a random password, etc) and mail the info to the user.

You'd need some PHP experience, but even so, you might want to look at Paypal, the PHP approach.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

ok someone want to do that script?

9 (edited by chris jones 2006-10-15 00:29)

Thank you all for your help.

I'm going to check out all of the tips you gave me; I'll admit that some of them sound like a foreign language to me but at least I've now got a starting point!

But first I'm going to do one more thing I probably should have done before I even posted my question:

I'm going to surf around and check out as many other forums as I can which have pay subscriptions.

I can't believe I didn't think of that until now. Doh! roll

Anyway, hopefully I'll find some which use PunBB and PayPal in the method that I want and perhaps I can get some hints that way. Failing that I can always contact the administrator of those sights and ask them how to do it.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress and if I can do it my way i.e. the easiest most non-techy way as possible, I'll post a mini-tutorial. Just don't expect me to be speedy about it; I've had this project simmering for a few months now!

Have a good evening and weekend everyone and thanks for your help.

Chris

Chris, have you had any luck with this Mod?

Q

elbekko wrote:

PunBB has a standard password generation feature if email confirmation is on.

A great feature, very refreshing for new registrants who don't have to expend any mental energy figuring a new strong password for the new site they are joining.