Topic: Will 1.3 be an easy upgrade?

Right now I am stuck. I am re-desiging an existing site and I am finished with it except for the PunBB integration(The current site uses phpBB and I am switching over to PunBB with the re-design). I was planning on waiting for 1.3 but now I am not sure how long it will be, seems it is at least a few months away and the site needs to be finished soon.

So my other option is to integrate 1.2.14 instead and upgrade to 1.3 whenever it comes along. Will the style/template system change completely in 1.3? Will the upgrade be an easy one to perform?

I basically want to avoid doing a bunch of work integrating 1.2.14, then having to do all that work again when 1.3 comes out.

My other option is to install 1.3 from the SVN and use that with the new site. Is it stable enough to use in a live environment?

Any suggestions?

Re: Will 1.3 be an easy upgrade?

Hi Andrew,

I spent 10 years in the Tampa area, Brandon to be exact.

As for what to do, 1.2.14 is your best bet, it's solid code. When 1.3 comes out, it would just be a matter of bringing over your design to it. The styles are changing in 1.3, but I don't see it being that hard to move over to it.

Now if you start making mods to the underlying code, then it will be harder to move to 1.3.

well.......will there even be an update from the current versions to 1.3 because 1.3 will be drastically different for them to make an hdiff i believe.....im sure the database update will be simple though. Im not too sure atm.

It is the drastically different part that worries me, especially if it comes out in a month.

What about using the SVN in a live environment? Not a good idea?

I wouldn't base your site on the svn version. I have some markup and css changes planned to make life easier for extension authors so your efforts could be obsolete in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks for the help everyone.

hcgtv: good to hear from someone else who has lived in the Tampa area.

Looks like I will have to settle for 1.2.14, I just want to be sure it isn't going to be an ordeal to upgrade to 1.3 when it comes out. If anyone else wants to throw in their two cents feel free.