Topic: Timezone setting in Admin?

I'm not sure what's not exactly right here:

setting the timezone setting to my part of the world (New Zealand @ +12GMT) gave me times that were 12 hours off. I saw in another thread that timezone setting is relative to the hosting server. So I set it to 00GMT which gave the correct time. That must be wrong - GMT is GMT surely?

Re: Timezone setting in Admin?

You set the server timezone so that the time used by PunBB is GMT. Then, you customize the timezone on your profile.

Hey I'm from NZ too wink

My server is in the US - it's timezone is set to NZDT.
Most vistors would be from the US or Europe.
When you set the timezone to GMT 00 - is that adjusting the server time to make it GMT or is it just assuming that your server is set to GMT?

to make this less confusing it would be nice to be able to show/hide the "forum time+timezone" on the main forum page somewhere and then maybe even show the second time, the adjusted user-based, 'local' (for them) time.

When you set the timezone to GMT 00 - is that adjusting the server time to make it GMT or is it just assuming that your server is set to GMT?

The timezone set in the admin panel should be whatever your server clock's GMT offset is. That way, the base time is GMT. Then in your profile, you can adjust to the proper timezone

to make this less confusing it would be nice to be able to show/hide the "forum time+timezone" on the main forum page somewhere and then maybe even show the second time, the adjusted user-based, 'local' (for them) time.

In 1.3, GMT will be properly calculated without any input from the user: the current option will be replaced with the ability to set the default timezone for new users/guests.

Excellent, thanks so much for the quick response!!
Searching the board now to find out when 1.3 comes out smile

Hi

Thanks for the replies. This a minor issue easily oversome, so no worries.