Topic: WallpapersDirect.co.uk

Hi all,

Integrated Punbb into the following site (shop not yet online):

http://www.wallpapersdirect.co.uk

Using the extern.php to pull latest threads/articles into the sites index page. Perhaps someone can recommend another way of managing the articles instead of threads within Punbb?

Feedback welcome. Bugs/Glitches of course appreciated providing you let me know what browser you're running etc.

I haven't actually changed the board design, I like oxygen etc - just resized them and edited main.tpl etc

Many Thanks,
Will

Re: WallpapersDirect.co.uk

Does nobody have any comments sad

I would appreciate some feedback if possible. Not just regarding the forum integration, as I know that it is a pretty simple task. I would be interested in having a few people poke there heads round the corner to check out the website and provide some design or layout critique smile

The online shop is now live also, powered by CubeCart. You can sample any wallpaper and see how it will look in a "Sample Roomset" smile Quite a few unique shop mods specially created for the store actually.

Browser issues would be welcome as I can only test on IE 6 and latest Firefox.

Many Thanks,
Will

3 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2007-04-14 17:10)

i think you should use a different theme. something that's not so burnt orange. something like minima but with the same color links as the rest of the site. other than that you've done a great job.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

1. A fixed width layout of that size is too narrow for a 2 and sometimes 3 column layout. The site is crying out for a clean minimalist one colum layout. At the momemt is has too many lines dividing things up which is making it look fussy. That means a horizontal navigation bar.

2. I wouldn't put the ariticle links on the front page. The main purpose of the website is to flog wallpaper. I would concentrate on telling people what you have to offer and then providing very prominent links directing them to the important bits of the site i.e. the pages where they can select stuff to buy.

3. I know this seems like a strange thing for me to be saying but I would get rid of the forum. Helpful articles are a great idea, you will get peoples attention if you give them something useful for free. However, doing it by a forum is overkill. I suspect that even if the business is successful you will find the forum is harldly used. Its just not the right kind of product. Of course, you could hide most of the forum functionality so it looks just like an article publishing system which would give you a cms by the backdoor.

4. I'm also not too keen on the fadout background. It can make it look as if things have just fallen off the bottom of the layout. I think I might get a bit tricksy and give the bottom of the content area a torn paper edge which kind of fits in with the theme of the site.

Sorry if that seems critical, but you did ask.

Thanks Paul and Dr. Jeckyl smile Critical is always good, gives me points to look at and work with.

I'll come back in a month or so with all of the alterations and see what people think smile I like the idea of ripping apart Punbb to work at a bare minimum. I probably could have included the articles using HTML but every site I have made recently has used PunBB... it was only natural to get it installed here aswell tongue

Thanks again