1 (edited by Mike83 2007-02-12 15:05)

Topic: Trouble with Admin Options

Hi there, I'm having some trouble with saving any changes made to the admin options.  I get the following error.

Error: Unable to write configuration cache file to cache directory. Please make sure PHP has write access to the directory 'cache'.

EDIT: Title should be Admin Options tongue

Re: Trouble with Admin Options

http://punbb.org/docs/faq.html#faq2_3 but for the cache directory

I already had it set as 777 and still get the problem.

Try removing all php scripts in the cache directory.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

You just mean the 7.php files in there?

6 (edited by deadram 2007-02-13 03:03)

Yah, delete all the .php files in your cache directory. Should only be left with a .htaccess and index.html file (Your most important settings are stored in config.php in the root directory of the forum, so that's the only file you really want to hold onto).

You should backup the files to your local computer before deleting them just to be safe. And then go into the admin panel on your forum and click "save options" once, to re-gen the config files.

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

There's no need to back up the cache files: they'll simply be regenerated.

After deleting them, just going to /forums on my site results in the same "Error: Unable to write configuration cache file to cache directory. Please make sure PHP has write access to the directory 'cache'." error showing up.

Is the cache directory chmodded properly? wink

Its set to 777, yes.

Then I'm not sure what the issue is: I would try chmodding it to 777 again and ensuring that there are no .php files in the directory (they could have the wrong permissions)

Alright, as I can't seem to fix that, which file would I need to manual edit to ban an IP, and to make it so you have to confirm your email address to sign upto the forum.

Thanks

If you can't write to the cache directory, PunBB isn't going to work properly. At some point, you're going to have to regnerate the cache files and things will start to fail

Maybe the base path to your forum is incorrect. It's normally stored in the cache, but if you delete the files it will be stored in the database. When you go to rebuild the cache, if the database record is invalid (incorrect path) then it will fail, afaik. Not sure if that value is even read from the database when the cache is removed.

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

deadram wrote:

Maybe the base path to your forum is incorrect. It's normally stored in the cache, but if you delete the files it will be stored in the database. When you go to rebuild the cache, if the database record is invalid (incorrect path) then it will fail, afaik. Not sure if that value is even read from the database when the cache is removed.

Nope, it's all done relative to PUN_ROOT