Topic: Scroll to top of post

I am going crazy trying to get this to work.

I added just the basic <a href'#top">Top</a> to my viewtopic.php file. It does works but the problem is that if I use

<a id="top" name="top" />

as is instructed in one of the forums post I then get the hover color under certain text. It depends on where I place it in the main.tpl file. If I place it at the bottom and hover over the jump to forum are the the hover class is used although it is not a link. Why wouldn't this just work in the viewtopic file?

Thanks
Bingiman.

Re: Scroll to top of post

Thats because you can't close an <a> tag like that. You need to get rid of the slash and add a closing </a>

What I don't understand is why you are bothering with an anchor. If you just want to go back to the top use the id from the wrapper div.

so you mean just use something like this: <a id="top"></a>? I placed that after the body tag and it seems to work. Is that correct.

Thanks for your help
Bingiman

Not quite. I mean use an id that already exists e.g. <a href="#punwrap">Top</a> or <a href="#brdheader">Top</a>. That way you don't have emply <a> tags cluttering up the place.

If you have problems and have to use an <a> tag then try <a id="top" name="top"><!-- --></a>

Thank you Paul. It worked like a charm.

BTW, it doesn't have to be an A tag. It should work with any other tag. e.g.

<h1 id="name">Forum Name</h1>

BTW, it doesn't have to be an A tag. It should work with any other tag. e.g.

I seem to remeber in the IE 3/4 days that didn't work on one of the browsers (either IE or netscape). Might be safer to just use the a tag, presumably some of the lesser know browsers won't recognize a <span id="top"><!-- top --></span>.

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;