1 (edited by Chris Powell 2007-03-14 00:02)

Topic: Integrating punportal 2.1 into punbb-1.2.14 etc...

This needs updating as i went through the upgrade process very carefully and took my time integrating punportal in to punbb forums but found several problems. One is that "forums" was missing from menu bar on both the (portal / forum) index pages. Also when clicking on the profile in the portals Forum Statistics you just get a 404 error. I can see that if you hover over the link that the profile number is missing. What you have to do to correct it is a lot of messing about (i know this as Smartys helped me out with this in another thread of mine).

Sort it out guys tongue

Anyway, why cant people just download and install the forum/portal software all in one. It would save all the hassle of having to spend around 20 minutes integrating the dam thing then. Surely it?s easy enough for the developers to put together?

Also, when ever i mess up a mod (say one I haven?t used before) i have to completely start from fresh by restoring all the files from HD to my host and restoring the SQL file using phpmyadmin, but even when doing that your left with a load more errors.

This punbb is becoming a nightmare for me now lol

Shall i just come back in another 2 years time when its finished lol

And finally, why is that once i've installed the punbb forum software and check the user list i can see "Chris Powell" id=2  (profile) if i'm the admin of the board and i've just set it up shouldn't i be id=1 hmm

It seems to me like there?s a secret user using id1 for testing purposes lmao *tut tut lol tongue

Re: Integrating punportal 2.1 into punbb-1.2.14 etc...

This is more of a PunBB Discussion, so I'll move it there wink

But first, I'll answer a couple of your points:

Anyway, why cant people just download and install the forum/portal software all in one. It would save all the hassle of having to spend around 20 minutes integrating the dam thing then. Surely it?s easy enough for the developers to put together?

PunPortal is a modification, not a part of PunBB: It was created by the community, not the developers. PunBB is meant to be a lightweight forum: if a user wants a portal, they can choose to add a portal created by members of the community.
As to the difficulty, I can only say that it varies depending on the quality of the mod, the iquality of the install instructions, and the expertise of the person installing the mod. However, adding modifications will become simpler for everyone in 1.3 with the new extension system

Also, when ever i mess up a mod (say one I haven?t used before) i have to completely start from fresh by restoring all the files from HD to my host and restoring the SQL file using phpmyadmin, but even when doing that your left with a load more errors.

If you have a complete backup of your forum from a working state and a restore doesn't work properly, that's an issue with your backups wink

And finally, why is that once i've installed the punbb forum software and check the user list i can see "Chris Powell" id=2  (profile) if i'm the admin of the board and i've just set it up shouldn't i be id=1

Check your database: the guest is ID=1

3 (edited by Chris Powell 2007-03-14 00:30)

Re: Integrating punportal 2.1 into punbb-1.2.14 etc...

thanks for covering the above mentioned up Smartys wink

i will look into why i can't do a complete restore properly more next time should i come in to problems again

look forward to 1.3. wink

edit: btw no probs about moving thread...  *pfft punbb newbies aye big_smile