Re: New User problem

Esembak wrote:

Hi, when I want (or my friends) register to my phorum. I have this error:

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to fetch user info.

What can I do?

runescape.vkleci.eu

What did you alter before the problem occured?

Also, please enable debug mode (there are instructions in a sticky topic in this part of the forum) and paste the full error.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

I'm having the same problem. I just installed punBB over the weekend and I haven't made any changes to any db tables, but when I try to register a new user I get:

File: /howto/forum/register.php
Line: 135

PunBB reported: Unable to fetch user info

Database reported: Illegal mix of collations (armscii8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (latin1_swedish_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '=' (Errno: 1267)

All other forum functions seem to work fine. Strangely, I was able to register a user right after I installed the BB, but now a few days later I can't. All tables have collation armscii8_general_ci and none have been changed since installation. All my other (non-forum) databases are all armscii8_bin, but that shouldn't make any difference to the forum database.

I get the same error with Foxfire and IE7 (which is not surprising considering it's a mySQL error)

Any suggestions?

--gary

For what it's worth, the php site reports that this is a php bug that was fixed in version 4.1.16 and 5.0.17. My hosting service runs version 4.1.1 and there's nothing I can do about that.

However, what DID work is to run the query ALTER TABLE `users` CHANGE `username` `username` VARCHAR( 200 ) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci NOT NULL or go into phpMyAdmin and alter the username field in the table users to collation latin1_swedish_ci. After that the problem went away. I don't know yet if it will have any important side effects, but the research I did on the mySQL forums indicates that the change is harmless in English-language applications since Swedish has all the same Latin letters plus a few extras.