1 (edited by Semb 2007-07-01 14:13)

Topic: Post-installation problems - index not loaded?!

So... I've completed the installation. After doing so, I got a message telling me to use chmod to make the cache directory php-writable. When I tried to access the forums via my website, it just said that cache wasn't writable... so I fixed this by using the appropriate chmod-command in the config.php-file (I also used the chmod command to enable avatars at the same time) However, now, when I attempt to access the forums via the website (i.e. http://www.mysite.com/forum), it just loads a completely blank page. I checked in the source code, but it was COMPLETELY empty. No html tags or anything whatsoever. When I view the index.php-file on my computer it's full of code, however.

I'm guessing I'm just making some newbie mistake, and I hope you can help me out!

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, to check if anything worked at all, I made a new php-file (lol.php), typed "<?php echo "lol"; ?>" and uploaded it. When accessing it through mysite/forum/lol.php, it did say lol on the page loaded.

Re: Post-installation problems - index not loaded?!

Check your server's error_log

The error log displays no errors connected to the forum whatsoever... just old errors from before I even attempted to establish the forums.

4 (edited by Semb 2007-07-01 22:08)

I thought it might be a common newbie mistake that many have encountered, but maybe it's not... I mean, it's like it doesn't even load the index file or something. Really weird.

And in case you're wondering; yes, the index.php file is located within the forum's "root folder" and thus it should load automatically when entering the /forum section. Anyway, I still get the same thing when being precise (.../forum/index.php), so that's not the problem.

Is it just the index. If you try accessing a different page directly e.g. forums/search.php does that work. Have you tried replacing your PunBB upload with fresh files just in case the original files were corrupted.

could you post your index.php file?

FluxBB - v1.4.8

#5: No, it's not just the index file. It's been the same with all the files I've tested. However, with my own custom made file, as I mentioned in the first post, it did work properly and its contents were displayed.

#6: Sure, I'll post it as soon as I get home from work. All I can tell you right now is that it did contain alot of code.

make sure you don't have any spaces or anything in config.php ... the file should start with <?php and there should not be anything before that

9 (edited by lie2815 2007-07-02 08:32)

Yeah, if none of the files work, then the error is probably in config.php, header.php or footer.php...

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Hmm... well, I copied the text into the config.php like I was supposed to, no spaces or linebreaks whatsoever... and then I needed to use chmod to make the cache directory writable. Could the problem lie there? Is there a specific place in the config.php file in which the chmod command should be? Right now, I think I've put it after the other text that I copied in from the installation message...

no chmod in the config file, pleeeeaasse

FluxBB - v1.4.8

12 (edited by Semb 2007-07-02 08:38)

Is that so? I figured I had misplaced it, but since it got rid of the cache directory problem I thought it was ok... I'd never really heard of chmod before, so I just googled it, got a few examples of how it worked and couldn't think of any other place to put it.

So where should I place it then?

EDIT: I did write in my first post that I used the chmod command in the config file... tongue

Semb wrote:

EDIT: I did write in my first post that I used the chmod command in the config file... tongue

Oops lol Just try it without the chmod commands.

FluxBB - v1.4.8

But without the chmod commands, when you try to access the forums, it says that the cache directory isn't writable... which I also wrote in the first post wink So there has to be a chmod command, but if not in the config file, where? ^^

You only have to do chmod once. I think it is a shell command but I can't help you with where to put it instead...

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Oh... obviously I'm totally lost when it comes to chmod... and shell commands too for that matter. So it might work if I were to remove the chmod command? I'll test it when I get home.
If not, does anyone else know where to put it? tongue

sorry can't help you with that lol

FluxBB - v1.4.8

remove the chmod commands from the config file and use your ftp client to change the rightds on the folders. If you are using a windows client, right click on the folder then select properties and change the rights to 777

Semb wrote:

Oh... obviously I'm totally lost when it comes to chmod... and shell commands too for that matter. So it might work if I were to remove the chmod command? I'll test it when I get home.
If not, does anyone else know where to put it? tongue

Don't arse about with your config.php file. Put the information in there that the installer told you to and **nothing else**. Chmod is a command line utility. You can use it in scripts, but I think that is outside your scope at the moment. If you have a shell account on the machine, a 'chmod 777 [/path/to/]cache' will do the trick. Otherwise chmod using the ftp client as mentioned above.

I did it through the ftp client and i works perfectly now! Thanks alot for the help everyone, I knew I could count on this community. ^^