Topic: phpBB3 to punBB.

(I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I figured I'd just post it here)

A few weeks back, I decided to start a forum, and wanted to try out phpBB3. Unfortunately, I've found phpBB3 to be far too bloated, and eats up way more bandwidth than I'm comfortable with (1.9GB in only a few weeks), so I've been wanting to switch to punBB, but I've been hesitant to do so because I don't want to make everyone re-register, and I don't want to lose all the posts. Is there any kind of "converter" that can transfer all the threads and user accounts from a phpbb3 database to a punBB database? Or, at least, just the user accounts so people don't have to re-register all over again?

Re: phpBB3 to punBB.

Hrmm, I know of one for phpBB2, but not phpBB3, sorry.

I would try the phpBB2 converter and see if it works

I'm not sure if there is a converter from phpbb3 > phpbb2 but if there is you could try that and then try the phpbb2 > punbb converter.

There is no phpbb3 > phpbb2 converter. Attempting to use a phpbb2 to punbb converter wouldn't work, either.

Why not?

Smartys wrote:

Why not?

Because phpbb3 and phpbb2 aren't the same thing.

Yes, I'm quite aware of that. However, has the database schema changed drastically? As in, have categories/forums/topics/posts/users been moved into new tables, had necessary column names changed, etc? If so, then yes, it might not work. However, since I have done no research regarding any schema changes in phpBB3 and haven't been provided with any information to the contrary, it certainly seems to be worth trying the phpBB2 converter.

I also converted from phpbb3 to punbb. I tried the conversion tool and it worked for the user names and passwords only. It also made me lose my admin status. when I logged in as admin I was just another user. Not a big deal because my board was fairly new.
When it got to the posts it kept getting errors about not being able to find table posts. I tried different ways and tried to modify the conversion, but could not get it to work.

Hope this helps some.

After converting, did you set yourself as admin? The conversion tool usually lets you do that when it finishes

Smartys wrote:

After converting, did you set yourself as admin? The conversion tool usually lets you do that when it finishes

No. It never finished because of the table post area error. It would stop converting at that point.

I've recently chose phpbb3 for my newly founded community, and i'm so frustrated i did this.
After a while, i've checked the new version of punbb and it's great!

Please make a converter for phpbb3 too, i promise i'll be using it forever smile