Topic: News story chat integration possible?

First, apologies if this topic's already been discussed somewhere in these forums. I couldn't find it.

I would like to integrate a "story chat" feature at the end of online news stories for a Web site I maintain for a small newspaper.

Many larger newspapers have such features integrated, such that the chat appears directly underneath the story. Here is an example from today at azcentral.com (scroll to the end of the story to find that chat feature): http://www.azcentral.com/community/swva … l0804.html

How could I achieve something similar using PunBB? Has this been done before with this software?

My first thought is to use an IFRAME, but there must be a better way than that, no?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Re: News story chat integration possible?

Moved to Integration
You could use an iframe. Alternately, you could create a new topic for every news story and display the posts underneath.

There are two ways you could go in:

1) Modify viewtopic.php to show the news post above the replies with a clear divider.
2) Create your own page with your own code to fetch replies.

I'd personally be in favour of 1 if you don't know much PHP, but if you know your way around PHP 2 should definately be doable too.

Thanks, Smartys.

How would I display the posts underneath? I presume that I could just steal the code from the topic itself, and paste it in the appropriate spot underneath the story, making all links back to the forums software absolute instead of relative?? Just never did this before.

elbekko wrote:

There are two ways you could go in:

1) Modify viewtopic.php to show the news post above the replies with a clear divider.
2) Create your own page with your own code to fetch replies.

I'd personally be in favour of 1 if you don't know much PHP, but if you know your way around PHP 2 should definately be doable too.

I'm afraid 1 would not work, as the news pages cannot simply be posted into the forums. So, I have to work it in reverse by finding a way to subsume -- or embed -- the forum topic into the existing Web page containing the news story.

There are two means you could go in:

1) Modify viewtopic.php to appearance the account column aloft the replies with a bright divider.

2) Create your own page with your own cipher to back replies.

I'd alone be in favour of 1 if you don't apperceive abundant PHP, but if you apperceive your way about PHP 2 should definately be achievable too.