1 (edited by TFD 2007-09-14 02:38)

Topic: db back up

I am switching hosts, I already have the new board set up and added some more mods which changed the tables. Ive never backed up but had over 320mbs of posts, I pruned it some but it seems to big to do anything with. I would like to at least save the user info, the name, pw, registration date, etc. I tried but I have know I dea what Im doing and the dbm plugin didnt work, php admin just did nothing and its not a very big file.

Someone tell me please how to save the users and load them to  the new database?

Thanks in advance

Re: db back up

Use direct MySQL tools, such as MysqlDump, and not phpmyadmin. Those can handle quite large files.

If you don't have access to those (through ssh for example), get a real hosting company.

3 (edited by TFD 2007-09-14 03:47)

ok that doesnt help but thanks. I need to at LEAST get the user stuff uploaded and its not working

TFD wrote:

ok that doesnt help but thanks. I need to at LEAST get the user stuff uploaded and its not working

The advice Jeremie gave you is perfectly valid. Use the commandline tools supplied with Mysql itself.

5 (edited by TFD 2007-09-14 03:55)

MattF wrote:
TFD wrote:

The advice Jeremie gave you is perfectly valid. Use the commandline tools supplied with Mysql itself.

Nope, he said use MysqlDump and I dont see it. Getting another host isnt an option and command line would be even worse since this is the first time Ive done this and know NO commands. I was hoping some one could tell me how to use phpmyadmin to swap at least the users and their info since the new database isnt the same as the old (different mods/tables) thanks anyway.

Firstly, mentioning your level of expertise, (or lack of), in the future would help when you ask questions like this.

Secondly, it's irrelevant if you don't know the commands. That is what documentation is for, and there is shedloads of it on the mysql site.

As there is for phpmyadmin too:

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

MattF wrote:

Firstly, mentioning your level of expertise, (or lack of), in the future would help when you ask questions like this.

Secondly, it's irrelevant if you don't know the commands. That is what documentation is for, and there is shedloads of it on the mysql site.

As there is for phpmyadmin too:

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

I believe I said in post one I had never backed up and had no idea what I was doing. Ive looked for hours now and I cant make it work which is why Im here asking...

command line are simple in a case like this. Try it 2 or 3 times after reading the one page manual, and you'll get it.

look forget it dude I'll wait for someone that can help rather than telling me get a new host or look it up. I dont feel like wasting my time on something that isnt helping.

10 (edited by MattF 2007-09-14 04:10)

For goodness sakes. You've been given advice. Heed it. Forums are for advice, not wiping your arse because you can't be bothered.

Dump:

mysqldump -u root -p [database_name] > [database_dump]

Restore:

mysql -u root -p -D [database_name] < [database_dump]

Read the Mysql documentation, and you'll know how to restore just the parts you require.