Topic: Initial Installation problem

Hi guys,

I've decided to take it upon myself to create myself and my Lord of the Rings Kin a Forum or some sorts, of which I currently no nothing about.

I have done a little reading and downloaded myself MYSQL and PunBB though I am a little stuck now hehe. I have installed MYSQL and I've uploaded the content of the Upload folder onto my webspace, but after that I'm a little stuck. I'm confused as to where to go from there in regard to setting up the database (i.e. is it done through a GUI or commands) as I run install.php in Firefox and I don't seem to get much apart from a little information about Pun and then some raw code... sad

Is it a GUI I should get to to run me through the installation and create my db?

I have MySQL installed and I am running Windows XP Pro with FileZilla as the FTP.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Re: Initial Installation problem

http://punbb.org/docs/video_tutorials/

From your description, it sounds like you don't have PHP on your server wink

Smartys wrote:

http://punbb.org/docs/video_tutorials/

From your description, it sounds like you don't have PHP on your server wink

Thanks for the reply Smartys, I have just tried using this code:

<?php 
 phpinfo(); 
?>

As a .PHP file and all I saw were the three lines of code, which I believe means, like you say my server does not support PHP.

Will I need to contact my ISP and ask them to enable this, then I will I get the GUI running Install.PHP?

Hopefully it's as simple as that smile

Thanks.

Yes, PHP is the language that PunBB is written in. Without it, PunBB can't be used.

Smartys wrote:

Yes, PHP is the language that PunBB is written in. Without it, PunBB can't be used.

I will get on to them this afternoon then and hopefully when I get home from work all will work. I will report back and let you know hehe smile

Thanks.

P.S. Love the forums by the way.

OK, I called my ISP (Virgin Media) and they do not support PHP to give me that access, they used to have it but a business decision was made to remove it.

Therefore will I need to find a new Webspace provider to be able to use PunBB?

Thanks.

yes you will