1 (edited by MattF 2008-04-05 21:39)

Topic: A SQL question

Just been having a peek through the SQL logs, and noticed several entries along this line:

<2008-04-05 13:49:38 GMT>ERROR:  22001: value too long for type character varying(2000)
<2008-04-05 13:49:38 GMT>LOCATION:  varchar, varchar.c:608
<2008-04-05 13:49:38 GMT>STATEMENT:  UPDATE punbb_online SET logged=1207403378, prev_uri='[snipped]downloads.php?cat_id=6+and+1=2+union+select+concat[rest of line snipped for brevity]

Was this a case of someone trying to exploit the db?

Re: A SQL question

Yes, that was someone trying an SQL inject. The reason it's logged there is because the URL was too long for the field and PostgreSQL choked on it.

It's times like this when I'm glad I've heeded your advice to triple check and sanitise all input. smile

Btw, that length restriction is the same one that bit me on the backside the other day with that new function. big_smile That's why it's up at 2000 now. big_smile

Just whilst on this subject, is there a certain string that would always be used when someone is attempting something like this? Just thought it might be worthwhile settting up a special redirect, big_smile for any muppets who decide to try again.

Not necessarily.

Smartys wrote:

Not necessarily.

Did a Google on the subject to try and get an idea of things. It's a very expansive subject, ain't it? big_smile One doesn't appreciate just how many possibilities there are until you actually start researching the subject. It's a veritable minefield.

in the SQL Data base the maximum length of the field is 255 means if you enter the string whose length is grater then 255 then these type of error are occurred.