Topic: Banning persistent users who chang IP address

Does anyone have some tips for ways ban or deal with users who keep changing IP addresses and creating new accounts?

I've banned users IP and also their range such as 111.11.11 and even 11.11 on all their IP addresses and they keep changing IP address and it's getting tiring trying to keep up.

Is there any way I can deal with this or at the end of the day if users keep changing IP addresses, you just have to hope they get bored and go away - or run out of IP addresses wink

Re: Banning persistent users who chang IP address

if they use a proxy there is notthing you can do personaly... just enable admin verfication on accounts and somehow know if its their account

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

I can do something like this...
http://perishablepress.com/press/2008/0 … -htaccess/

Which blocks all/most proxies or alternatively just anonymous proxies but as you can imagine I'm hesitant in doing that.

I have a user who's been coming back every few weeks for a few month's not - apparently they have no life.

Thanks for that link mixart. Ive been thinking about looking into this for a while.

Perishablepress wrote an amazing article called "stupid htaccess tricks" filled with all sorts of goodies that I didnt know were possible smile

I'm curious to hear any other stories from people who have repeat offender users and how you deal with situations like this.

My "offender" has returned once more.

I guess I'm just lucky I have lots of moderators who always catch these new accounts and it's a mere 10 seconds of their time to ban these users. Amazes me these people don't just give up.