Topic: Top 5 (or more) reasons to upgrade to PunBB 1.3

I know features are still being worked on an subject to change, but based on what you all know so far, I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on:

What are the Top 5 reasons (features, technical reasons, efficiency, etc) for moving to PunBB 1.3 when it's released. You can go into as little or much detail as you like smile

Re: Top 5 (or more) reasons to upgrade to PunBB 1.3

mixart wrote:

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on

Good luck. The most your hear is the developers views. The forum is dead as a doornail..Fluxbb is the way to go

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

There are many reasons, of course. Everything depends on what forum you are using now. PunBB is faster and easier to use than many other forums. PunBB 1.3 in comparison with 1.2 has the extension system and supports UTF-8.

Together with advantages there are disadvantages in PunBB. Some of them are eliminated in 1.3, others have to be eliminated later.

Utchin wrote:

The most your hear is the developers views

And these views are the most adequate, aren't they?

parpalak wrote:

And these views are the most adequate, aren't they?

I wouldn t say "most adequate", your views should not be ranked higher just because you are a developer..

I could of replied with in 10 min, however i don't think i should encourage people to use punbb, not because i don't like what you have done, Only because the community. Think about this from a forum admin point of view, if they post at fluxbb, they would get a quick response, however here, it can be a good few days.

Im not saying its your (not you personally) fault but there is no community behind you able to help other members. Only the developers are helping at the moment and you come on when you can.

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Utchin wrote:

your views should not be ranked higher just because you are a developer..

Sure. But we are more familiar with PunBB than average user. I think this is the reason.

6 (edited by mixart 2008-10-09 10:45)

Let me re-phrase my question - I left out one important term.... UPGRADE. I am using 1.2.20 and was curious about peoples favorite features and reasons to upgrade to 1.3 from 1.2.20.

punbb has served me well for 2 years now and no plans of changing yet, it is to early for me to determine if flux will live a long life - actually I'm not totally confident either will since the pun/flux split sad

mixart wrote:

Let me re-phrase my question - I left out one important term.... UPGRADE. I am using 1.2.20 and was curious about peoples favorite features and reasons to upgrade to 1.3 from 1.2.20.

Main reasons to upgrade:
1. Extension system: it is really easy to install extension. And we hope there will be much more extensions than there were mods.
2. UTF-8 support: PunBB 1.2 can be caught while processing some multilingual texts.
3. New templates/styles: we hope it will be mush easier to develop and to switch the theme. Better layout.
4. Hotfix system: one click to fix the security issue (hoping it will not produce two more :-)) and notifications for new version of the extensions.
5. Nice URLs.

See also the wiki page.

If you need none of these, do not upgrade.

Carpe diem