Topic: No emails being sent

Have just set up punbb (latest version) with 000webhost.
The problem is that no emails are being sent - i.e. subscription emails and more importantly registration confirmation emails
In the Admin panel I've tried it with various settings...

SMTP fields blank
1 SMTP field for Gmail (to match the email address I used at the top of the page) with SSL turned on/off

It's just occurred to me that maybe it's because the email address at the top is my personal one?

Anyway, any help would be very much appreciated. Sorry if I'm being a noob.

Re: No emails being sent

SMTP Server (which probably includes all SMTP support) is disabled in 000webhost

source: http://www.000webhost.com/

3 (edited by AYBG 2009-06-15 12:13)

Thanks, but what about the default settings (where the fields are blank):
"In most cases PunBB will be able to send e-mail using your local e-mail program in which case you can ignore the following settings."

What does it mean by local email program?
I've been trying out forum software with the same hosting and they sent emails fine...(e.g. phpbb3)

Anyone?
It was a clean install, so does the board's automatic email system usually work straight away, or do I need to CHmod any files etc?

AYBG wrote:

What does it mean by local email program?

The local maildrop method via the sendmail command. You ought to contact your host regarding this. It sounds like something they have screwed up, (intentionally or otherwise).

Hmm okay I doubt they'll reply but I'll give it a go.

Slightly off-topic: I'm getting paid hosting soon - do email notifications consume much bandwidth (if any)??

Thanks btw

7 (edited by MattF 2009-06-16 15:18)

AYBG wrote:

Slightly off-topic: I'm getting paid hosting soon - do email notifications consume much bandwidth (if any)??

Not really, unless you're sending thousands per day out. The message body is basic and hence quite small. Personally, I don't use confirmation e-mails, but that's more due to the fact of the amount of muppets who never think to check their spam folders, (or actually flag the confirmation e-mail as spam when they've requested it), when they receive the e-mail. Then they wonder why they can't log in. Too much hassle in my book.

^Yeah I've lost count of the number of times people have emailed me asking "why can't i log in" (we also prune users who don't post) - fortunately there's an add-on for gmail that lets you send pre-saved responses smile
But the reason I ask is my site relies on email notifications, because people need to get to the forum asap once a new post is made on one of our boards. Its a priority hence why I ask these questions and one of the reasons we're moving to paid hosting.
Anyway, I think this thread has reached its end - thanks for your replies smile