1 (edited by kaptainkory 2009-07-01 17:51)

Topic: Inconsistent CSS implementation in Admin

I submitted some CSS bugs for previous versions and had hoped for better when upgrading to 1.3.4.  After some simple restyling of the default CSS for my site, mostly changing the color scheme, I did find the CSS is better overall, but still overly complex.  I especially found the CSS implementation for the admin area pretty inconsistent.  The "Manage Extensions" page was especially bad!!!...and I never did get it quite fixed without breaking other things, too.

I can backtrack and find some specific places, but I propose the follow changes for consideration:

A) Remove all of the CSS classes and ids specific to "admin" and just borrow from the regular pages.  Do people really want to style their admin area so differently from the rest of the site?  It seems like a waste of time and energy on all fronts.  But as it is now, the real waste is actually trying to FIX the bad implementation so the admin area is at least "functional" in appearance.  Let the few people who really want a different-looking admin use a different CSS in their admin template.

If nothing else, consider that EVERY PAGE that loads includes all of this admin-specific CSS styling that isn't even SEEN except in the admin area.  Very inefficient.

B) Simplify the color scheme!  How many shades of blue/gray are really necessary?  Half of them are barely perceptibly different.  Load Oxygen_cs.css using the tool below and explain to me why so many *nearly-exact* colors are necessary?

http://www.dagondesign.com/tools/css-co … ment-tool/

Thanks.