Topic: Latest topic page in forum

For a few days now I'm trying to make a page that shows like the recent topic-page, but contains the latest topics from certain forums, orderd by date of first post.

I know now that i can use extern.php, but i don't want to show the topics elsewhere, but as a forum-page.
So what I'm trying to do is show this example from the Wiki:  include('http://host.com/extern.php?action=feed&show=10&fid=5,6,7'); in a forum-view.

punBB 1.3 is new to me (my forum is updated a short while ago) and i'm trying hard to get used to it, but my forummembers are a bit impatient wink So can someone help me out? I did find some suggestions to some code, but can't manage to integrate it myself.

Re: Latest topic page in forum

Did you have this working on previous version , what was mod (link)?

Yes i did but it was not a real mod. I was helped by Quaker in this topic. You can find my code there too, but  I don't use a seperate column for author though.
I tried to do the same this time with the code in this topic, also a portal page, but can't fix it this time.

To clarify:

Files
On entry to the forum, you want an additional link
$visit-links['newtopics']   at the top right I assume,
so you need to look at lines 202, 204, 205 of header.php

Then in search.php you want to add the additional variables
for the quicksearch starting line 78 (probably near line 89 add lines
else if ($action == 'show_newtopics')  [etc]

Database

Then we'd need to know the 'forum_id'/'cat_id' , i.e. the specific forum
you want to filter search by...

We also need 'posted', not 'last_post' to be searched.

Just trying to get the parameters right...

include/search_functions.php

from lines 413 onwards you can see the way quick searches are generated
so closest example for you will be case on line 425.....

the biggest change I can see in the code from your last post with your code from back then is:

AND t.forum_id IN ("3","30", "31")

you need to add that below your block of code imitating line 435 I think

Sorry for the slow reply, tnx for helping me.
It's right that i want a link somewhere to the recent topics, but i want to make it work the same as the old one, not based on time you logged in, but showing the last 50 started topics, independent from if you have seen them before.
I need the space in the header to make something else my forum-members are used to... but that's another project.

For this one, i tried to make an new action like u siggested before, but i had to change a lot more then just adjust an new action. I thought, if i figured out how to make a new $action, i could figure out how to change it in 50 topics instead of new topics, but it did not work. Isn't there a way to add a new page in punBB 1.3.x and paste my old code in it? Or something like that?

I know that when I wanted a customisation quickly of something specific for 1.3 that required several hours of coding, I contacted a coder and paid him for it... He did it as an extension and I paid him 50% upfront rest upon completion ... If you need it and can afford it, it's a good way to get quick results...

If you have time, then you can add it to wiki as extension feature request and hope that someone does it... as I don't know how many other "tickets" / "requests" are pending etc I have no idea how fast that will be...

I happen to think it will be a useful addition personally as an extension. But sadly beyond my capabilities smile