Topic: [Solved] UTF-8 issue

Is this punBB or is it mail server causing problem.

I just installed a local version of punBB 1.3.4 and when testing registrations I see that sent email message has UTF-8 data in message subject and email from fields. Infact when I registered here to post this question the same happens and I got the following in email message headers.

Subject: =?UTF-8?B?V2VsY29tZSB0byBQdW5CQiBGb3J1bXMh?=
From: =?UTF-8?B?UHVuQkIgRm9ydW1zIE1haWxlcg==?= <slava@informer.com>

I s this meant happen because outlook doesn't seem to be able to interpret the messsage at all whilst Eudora can read it from mailserver but it looks like above. I'm not sure whether problem is my mailserver or punBB so if anyone can shed any light on it it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: [Solved] UTF-8 issue

As your the first person to have this, and I test-registered just a few days ago without problem, I think it must be your mail server. If you can check receiving the mail with another web based service we'll soon know.

Problem sorted. It seems I had some settings wrong in Outlook which gave me blank messages when reading them. I've tweaked them and it works now.
Eudora will always show message as I posted as it doesn't decode utf-8.
Consensus at Hmailserver is that UTF-8 encoding subject and from fields like that is unecessary but its fine if mail client can handle it which I guess modern ones can. Older ones may not.

Finally, I modded punBB code so that it doesn't cause problem on non UTF-8 mail clients. i.e. changed the code causing the problem. It works fine in Eudora now. (hope it doesn't cause me probs elsewhere but I don't think so.

Can you post what you changed? Might be useful for others in future who use Eudora....
Thanks.